Thursday, August 2, 2012

Baby #2!

Oh yes! We're having another baby!

As I type, I am 13 weeks 6 days. I'll be 14 weeks tomorrow?!?

I think, with Everett, I blogged about the pregnancy for the first time at 9 and a half weeks. I couldn't wait (I was also tired of people asking how the wedding planning was going). (;

It's not that this pregnancy has flown by, in fact, my first couple months moved like molasses. But now that I'm feeling a little better (certainly not 100%), and as I've approached and passed the second trimester mark (and got to hear and see the baby again), I've started to relax, and time's moving faster.

One reason the first few months moved so slowly is I found out about this pregnancy so much sooner. With Everett, I found out when I missed my period and took a test (several tests, actually) at about 5 and a half weeks.

This time, I started getting that pregnancy exhaustion A WEEK after conception. It was ridiculous. But I couldn't take a home test for a couple weeks. So I waited and waited for the result I knew would eventually come.

(picture caption) a stick I peed on! May 29th 2012

This pregnancy is so different than my last. With Everett, I was going to school, working, painting, doing homework, and had a bit more of a social life. So I was busy and distracted. This time, I have a toddler. Being a stay at home mom with a toddler, I'm always occupied with him, but I wouldn't say I'm busy.

But we planned this pregnancy, and we were very lucky to get pregnant when we planned. So Brian's been home for most of the first, and the beginning of the second, trimester. And it's been so nice. Every day I think how lucky I am to have his help. It's not like I get to veg on the couch all day, since Brian's been renovating our second bathroom. But he's been doing much of the shopping and cooking, and if I'm feeling particularly bad, he can stop what he's doing and take Everett. It's been amazing. A true luxury.

We got an ultrasound at a bit over 8 weeks. It was fun. Got to see the heartbeat and that there really was a baby in there.

(picture caption) giant head baby

It was a little annoying that, with all the measurements they took, they put my due date at January 27th (they measured all sorts of things, not just the fetus). From the first day of the last period, I was dating at February 6th, so that was a big jump forward. This was not just annoying because I wasn't sure what to tell people about weeks/due date, but my biggest fear with this pregnancy is getting induced again, and the risk is much greater if I'm being told I'm a week past my due date (time for no stress test!) when I'm not even at my due date yet.


I showed Everett this picture, and I said: "what's that?" and he said, "It's a shark!" Baby just might get called "Sharkie" in the future. (;

Luckily, at our 13 (ish) week ultrasound, the doctor measured the fetus again and was able to give us a due date of February 1st. Much better. I was thinking February 3rd myself (based on conception), but that's close enough.


(picture caption) little leg and foot!

Oh, and he guessed it's a girl!! He said he couldn't be sure, and not to count on it, but he said he was 80% sure. That's pretty sure! A girl?! What would we do with a girl? Love her, I s'pose. And give her the tools to develop into a smart, strong woman! (:

The general wisdom that you get bigger faster with your second is certainly true for me. At 13 weeks I look as big as I did at 20 weeks with Everett (I doubt I was showing much at 13 weeks with him). But I'm all around squishier and in worse shape than I was with Everett. Back then I had a built in walk of at least 40 minutes on school/work days. Now I just chase around and lift a toddler all day. But as I feel better, I'll be walking and swimming more, and plan to take prenatal yoga, so I should be in decent shape for this pregnancy.

We'll be doing this Pinterest inspired photo series. It's challenging, but so fun and silly, to include Everett. When I was pregnant with Everett, I could choose one best picture to show belly progress. Now I'll end up sharing all the cute ones of him (and hope the belly progress is shown).





We're very excited. It seems like a great time to have another one. Everett will be 2 years 9 months in February (yup, babe was conceived just a few days before Everett's birthday--luckily I was still energetic enough to throw him a party). By then, I expect he'll be better able to grasp what the little wailing thing is, and maybe help me a little.


Helpful or not, we think he'll be a great big brother. He's so mellow (relatively), loving, generous, happy, and smart (he'll teach her/him so much!).


Should be a fun and busy 6 months left of pregnancy!

2 comments:

said...

Such good news!!! I'm happy for you guys! And Everett's faces are the best :)

Rachel said...

Baby #2!! Hoooorayyyyy!!!! Siblings are amazing. Everett will be an awesome big brother. We are so happy and excited for you guys!