Brian went back to work today. ):
Well, he's been going in to work for about the last week, but an hour or more later than he has to be there now. And the kids don't come until Monday. But today is his first, official, mandatory work day.
This is going to be tough.
It's been an amazing summer. Not amazing as in adventurous or mind-blowing. Those kinds of summers will come as our kids get older. This summer was amazing to me because I had so much help while being first trimester/early second trimester pregnant, PLUS we did a few other fun things, and Brian actually got quite a bit done around the house.
Him being home made me wonder how other pregnant mommies do it without husbands on vacation. He shopped, cooked, cleaned, did laundry, played with Everett a lot, even when he was working on the house and I had to say, "Everett and my energy levels are not compatible right now." He'd stop what he was doing so I could take a nap or just sit on the couch and watch The Olympics (side note: it was rad that I got to watch The Olympics for 17 days of my pregnancy. I was obsessed!).
I understand how lucky I always am to have a partner who believes men and women should share equal responsibility at home, and actually acts on his beliefs--although this might be because he's more of a clean-freak than I am, but I'll take it!
He's an amazing husband. No doubt about it.
I was pretty hard on myself this summer. That may have been the worst thing about being first trimester this time around. I was so tired, but I was never content to just let myself be lazy and do nothing. I would be lazy and do nothing, but I would be upset with myself for not doing anything. Thankfully, Brian never gave me a hard time about it. So I was the only one being hard on me.
I hope Brian had a good summer. I think he feels like he had a good summer. Besides helping his wife grow a baby (and getting to go to all the OB and ultrasound appointments without it being a scheduling issue), we went camping, went to the beach, The Fair, berry picking, Brian got to play a lot of disc golf (sometimes with me but almost always with Everett). We went to a parade and a baseball game, BBQs in the middle of the week at Phil and Gion's. And Brian built almost an entire bathroom!!
He even got to go on a backpacking trip with two of his best friends, Henry and Peter. This was a big deal. First, Brian had never been away from Everett for so long, which felt weird. But I was freaking out a bit about being without Brian. It was hard, but it was good for me. I got to see that I could take care of Everett by myself (with a little help from the grans). It also made me realize how much better I was really feeling. But I was soooooo happy when he came home.
Although it's sad that Brian's back at work now, I look forward to this fall and winter. I look forward to my growing belly and to all the upcoming holidays that will be even more fun than last year. Everett trick-or-treating will be the cutest thing ever!!
No comments:
Post a Comment