Monday, July 3, 2017

June Post

JUNE BLOG!! This is a long one! This is Brian's first time in many years taking the entire summer off--no summer school, no HUGE home improvement projects. And he's already making the most of the break--road trips, beach trips, hikes. I anticipate the next two blogs will be long as well.


I titled this picture "when your grandpa is a performer." Roz loves her Baba. And Lydia is so proud.



Aras turned 6! Super fun party at El Chorro Park. The kids decorated and flew kites! Roz reunited with her BFF Rosie.

 
Drumming their hearts out at music class.



On her special day with them, Phil and Gion took Rosalind to Morro Bay. 



While Roz was having her beach adventure, Lydia got to go to Vons! Not as exciting, but we make the most of it.

Everett had Book Character Dress-up Day. Guess who he went as??



Phil and Gion took the kids to the theater to see Captain Underpants! And be eaten by a shark.


This is life with a toddler. I turned my back for 5 seconds!!



The kids with the felled deodar in Sunken Gardens.

And Lydia shucking corn. My big helper loves corn!


Music presentation at the library. I love how they will dance . . . like no one's watching.


Everett's end of the year interview.





Chocolate face Everett.

Everett the reader. He read that WHOLE BOOK! He just sat there for over an hour and read! Now that's a milestone!

Lydia's first and last day of her first year of preschool.

And the sibs wanted to get in on the pics!


Lydia's end of the year interview. 

I didn't get any pictures, but Everett attended his first slumber party on the 16th! It was to celebrate Paloma's birthday, and according to Anna, they had a blast. Nice that his first sleep-over party was with his lifelong friends. We all felt comfortable and reassured. 





Water play on San Pedro and at UU. The leaders there, Janise and Katy, were so wonderful with Everett when he got frustrated.


Father's day, beach day!


Banana splits to celebrate the end of the school year!



Creative way to watch Trolls for the millionth time.



Stuffy day at music class was so fun and so cuuuuuuuuuute!!!


Staying cool Atascadero style at the Heilmann splash pad.



Brian's been trying to hike as much as possible. This time to took Roz to Three Bridges (which officially opened on June 30th!).








We decided to do another beach day and asked my parents to come along. Cambria is my mom's favorite beach. We'll have to go back soon!







Our friends Keith and Pelin recently moved to SLO, right near the Blue Baseball place (what do they call that? ballpark??)





After a hike, Brian took the girls to frozen yogurt. Sweet sisters!!

Roz POOPED on the potty! What!?! I have no desire to potty train her now, but she has learned what happens on the potty and is experimenting with doing it herself. We'll see if she continues to be curious or loses interest.

We met the Cordell's at Sculpterra Winery as they were passing through town. So nice catching up! Ignore the boy with his finger up his nose.


Finally leaving for our LA trip!!!













Our first day!!

We stopped in Santa Barbara at Kids World. What an amazing place!! fantastic handmade play structure. A perfect place for us to run around and stretch our legs.

Right before hitting the traffic of LA, we stopped at Lovi's Delicatessen in Calabasas. It was a pretty fancy deli. The food was good. It seemed like a spot for locals, maybe. Women with lots of make-up and men in their finest polo shirts and shorts. A different crowd than if we'd stopped at In-N-Out. Not better or worse, just different!

Then we made it to La Brea Tar Pits! So many bones! So much tar! My favorite giant ground sloth. Everett hammed it up during a tour. We took him away before it finished for being disruptive, but he made a pretty good joke about a saber tooth tiger fang looking like a banana. He made the whole group laugh. But it's hard to be content with just one laugh line when you're seven.

We got to see their 3D movie, Titans of the Ice Age. The kids liked it, but they also thought it was scary.

While we were driving to our lodging, we were listening to a podcast about "how babies are made." Lydia asked if I have a uterus, and I said I definitely do. I've grown three babies in that uterus. It's kind of a super uterus. And she made up a song about my "super uterus!!" It was the cutest/best thing ever, and I wish I remembered the melody she sang to.

We checked into our little AirBnB apartment in Los Feliz/Silverlake.

Down the street we found a place called Tomato Pie Pizza Joint to get a few slices. This was the place to go with kids! It wasn't a "kid restaurant" at all, just a typical city pizza place, but every single group there had kids. Four families including ours! I think that was the most kids I saw the entire time we were in the neighborhood.


Day two!!

Auntie Katie asked if we could visit Tommy Trojan on the USC campus. Of course!!


Then we visited Traveler for good measure.

































Still our second day!!

We found out Roz loves fountains.

We had the first appointment of the day to see the Endeavor Space Shuttle! Incredible!! All the exhibits teaching about it are great too. Maybe in a few years we can go back when we have a longer average attention span and reading level.

There's an impressively large aquarium in the California Science Center! Our kids loved that. In fact, it was hard to pry them away to go have some lunch at the cafe--along with hundreds of school camp students! Everywhere we went there were these groups in matching shirts, a little overwhelming for me. But the kids like the energy and interaction with the other kids, so it was all good.

Christina's comparing babies again! Babies and chickens! Awwww.

After a bit more Science Center learning we went over to the Natural History Museum. We mostly checked out their impressive collection of fossils, dinosaurs and ancient mammals.

For dinner we went to a hip but comfy restaurant close to our apartment called Home. I had an amazing turkey reuben. SO GOOD! Maybe the best sandwich I've ever had. A man at the table next to us said he had an audition that day. I kept thinking we would run into a celebrity, at least a comedian from a favorite podcast?!? I did see an actor at La Brea Tar Pits, but I still can't place him. It will come to me!!

After dinner we walked to a fancy ice cream shop called Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams. Everett got roasted strawberry, Lydia got watermelon, and I got browned butter almond brittle. And those were some of the simpler flavors!

























Day three!!

We ate breakfast at Village Bakery & Cafe in Atwater. I hope the people there working didn't mind Lydia's chicken dancing too much.

We went back to our apartment to check out, and then we headed up to Griffith Observatory!

We had taken a drive up to the observatory the day before, to kill some time as Rozzy slept in the car. Wednesday afternoon it was PACKED! The parking lot was full and people were parked all down the mountain, so far we never would have been able to walk with the kids. And Brian had found out that the parking would be even more restricted than normal on Thursday.

So we went up early! The observatory opens at 12:00, and we got there at 10:30. We got a good parking spot, we checked out all there was to check out on the grounds--the statues, the views, the Hollywood Sign!

When it opened, I grabbed some tickets to the first planetarium show of the day. It was a great movie, a wonderful way to help the kids envision the stars, planets, and constellations.

The observatory has so many great exhibits. The picture above where Brian is pointing among the exhibits, I titled "when your dad loves astronomy." He's so excited to teach Everett about all this stuff (and the girls too, when they're paying attention).

The cafe at the observatory is called "The Cafe at the End of the Universe," after one of my favorite books growing up, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Next we popped over to the Huntington Library. It's huge and gorgeous. The children's garden is wonderful and we would have stayed much longer if we could have. We had to visit Blue Boy and Pinky before we left. I said "Pinky and Pinky" because Lydia was wearing pink. She yelled at me, "I'm not Pinky, I'm LYDIA!!!" And Everett really needed to pee. Needless to say, we have yet to raise art lovers.

Before heading home (home home, Atascadero home), we found a highly rated Vietnamese restaurant where we could try Pho. Delicious! Everett LOVED their egg rolls and pork chops. Lydia barely ate her soup.

We had a great time on our LA trip. It was hard with three little kids but more fun than frustrating, so I think that's undeniable greatness. 


And one last picture before we go. "Sisters, man. Roz STOLE Lydia's shorts basically off her body (cried until she got them) and proceeded to cuddle Lydia's most precious stuffies. As an only child, I watch with fascination."

Until next month! We have a big trip planned for July too!!

No comments: