Wednesday, May 3, 2017

April Post

I didn't think April was a busy month, but add in Easter and a camping trip right at the end, and we have a loooooong blog!





Baby chicks are at Farm Supply, the girls can sometimes be sweet to each other, and Everett gets into clay.



Lydia made me promise to take her bike riding, so I picked her up from preschool (where this Lydia bunny was hanging) and took her to Colony Park!





May 6th was . . . a day. The previous evening Everett was trying to open a big diaper box by jumping on it and fell. His wrist hurt, but I assumed it was bruised and not broken. In the morning, he refused to use that arm, I still wasn't convinced it was anything major, but I also didn't think his teacher would appreciate if I sent a child who refused to write. So we made an appointment with the doctor. We got to see Dr. Tedford, who thought E might have a slight fracture (whoops!). He sent us to get an X-Ray, and instead of waiting till someone could watch the girls, I just brought the whole gang to cause chaos in the radiology office. But I'm glad we did it because we got the X-Ray done, Dr. Tedford saw it and pulled some strings to get us in to see orthopedic surgeon Dr. Mooney who told us it was quite a big break, broken all the way through, and put a cast on.


Purple, of course! We waited a very long time at the ortho, but we were able to make it to open house!



Everett got to show off his zip line. We'd dropped it off in the morning and no one in his class (teacher included) knew what it was. All the students had gotten a bag of the same materials (genius kit) and each had to make their own "invention."

Brian and I got to take the big kids to see Beauty and the Beast!









For egg dying this year, Gion and Phil brought dye and eggs to us. It worked out well. Four adults to three kids dying eggs is probably an ideal ratio.


Oh! Gion got one with me in it too!



Our congressman Salud Carbajal came to meet with the Atascadero Democratic Club. I was busy taking pictures for the Facebook page, so I drew his portrait from a photo after the fact. In this time of political stress, it's nice to know our MoC is on the same page as us.







Easter!! The kids got some simple baskets from us in the morning. Then the UU had an egg hunt. They had the kids hunt for empty eggs and redeem them for a bag of goodies. Genius!







Easter baskets and family portraits at Phil and Gion's house.













Another lovely Easter dinner on San Pedro. My parents attended. And our friends Pelin, Keith, Aras, and Diyar joined the fun! The kids liked hunting for the eggs we dyed, but I think they really enjoyed hiding eggs and watching the adults hunt for them!


Lovely spring break Three Bridges hike!



Lydia loves popsicles and worms.


We're doing Music Together again! Rosalind is participating more than I thought she could. It's adorable. And Lydia isn't quite as wild as she was during the last class we took. Still quite wild, though. I've been telling her before class, "this is music class not running class, right?" And I have to keep reminding her to pay attention to Janna. But she's getting better. She's just such a ball of energy.

One of her current favorite phrases is: today is the best day ever! Even if it's a super boring day, she'll say that. Gion told me she tells people Lydia loves life. She does! Amazing kid (who looks like a teenager in that music class picture!!).


Everett's cast fell off! We were getting ready for UU, Brian tugged E's pajama top off his arm, and the cast came with it! I guess it's pretty common with kids. The swelling from the injury goes down and their hands aren't big enough for the cast to catch on. I'm happy he has a new cast because the old one, his thumb barely peeked out, and he could do almost nothing with that hand.


Lydia loves painting. Thank goodness she's cleaner than Everett while art-making.



Lydia's partial broke! So for one day she was missing one tooth. Super cute. She was so upset, she actually got a visit from the tooth fairy. That helped. The next day they squeezed us in at the dentist to get it taken out and sent away to the lab. I was supposed to be packing for camping, but instead we went to SLO to the dentist. And when we got back, I searched for a good picture of her partial from when it was first chipped. Poor Brian. He always does the majority of the camping prep, but it was even more this time.


So we finally got on the road to Kirk Creek! Highway 1 was closed, so we had to take The 101 to Nacimiento-Fergusson Road, which is lovely through Fort Hunter Liggett but then does a lot of winding through the mountains. First, a winding road meant baby barf. We pulled over to clean her up. Then a narrow-winding road meant a popped tire! We were so close to the campsite! We had a beautiful view of the ocean, Brian got a bit distracted by the majesty, a little too close to the mountain with a pile of rubble underneath, and we were on the side of the road again! Luckily there was space to pull over. And thankfully Brian was able to quickly put the spare tire on (which was in good shape!). What an adventure!





We made it to the campsite with just enough light to set up our tent. Our friends had passed us and made it there a bit before us. The campsite was stunning. Kirk Creek as been a favorite of ours since high school. My definition of paradise.









The next day our big outing was to Sand Dollar Beach. Beautiful. The whole reason for the trip was to celebrate our friend Keith's 40th birthday. Happy birthday Keith!! He got to be king of the mountain here. Roz visited him.





A campsite, games, snacks. This is classic childhood memory-building stuff right here! Lydia's telling me now she called this her "ant museum." 


Panoramic views of our two sites and the ocean view! It was the perfect spot for us. Far away from the cliff, far enough away from the pit toilets.





Dinner during sunset, Wow!! Jiffy Pop! And roasting marshmallows, the ones the raccoon didn't steal the first night.





Pictures in the tent and the bunny trap! There was an empty campsite across from ours (some poor person who didn't have a spare tire possibly?). Brian had the genius idea to have the kids play in that site, after he got tired of them kicking up the dust near our food. *no bunnies were harmed*

Rosa: Why do you sing so much?
Everett: It's one of my hobbies.



Rozzy's favorite part of camping was Rosie the black lab! Boy did she love that dog. And one last walk around the campground before heading home.

Keith and Pelin drove behind us until we got in cell range. Thanks friends! It got a little harry there at first but turned into the kind of trip I dreamed about before becoming a parent.

Until next month!

No comments: