Tuesday, December 3, 2013

November Post

Well, hello December!

I guess it's time to blog about November!

It was a fun month. Looking at all these pictures, I realized I might have met my goal to decrease the number of pictures I include, but then we had Thanksgiving! And it was a lovely celebration with family visiting from nearish and far, plus it was at our house! 

Below, 3.5 is the perfect age to enjoy all the cheapo non-candy trick-or-treat treats.




It's so nice having my new camera. I can't help taking advantage of light like this. Another reason these blogs are so long! 


A couple days after Halloween we had to get Lydia (and Brian) dressed up again. Being in the Baby Bjorn was part of her costume (Baby Beorn), but we'd never felt like putting her in the carrier during the Halloween festivities.




 The cutest baby bear on the block. And always such a good sport.




She still loves eating! And she's eating almost everything now except meat, so she's becoming more and more involved in the family meal, which she loves. We all love it.




On November 5th, I went into Everett's classroom to do a craft project. It was fun. The kids seemed very proud of their creations, which was the most important thing to me. The craft took a bit more prep time than I would have liked. I'll try to cut back on my own out-of-class time commitment next time.

They were learning about monarch butterflies, that's why I designed that particular craft. A couple weeks later (not the next, postponed by a yucky stomach bug), Everett brought in an empty chrysalis from our monarchs and a couple pictures of him with the caterpillars and chrysalises.




Lydia is such an amazing little person. She's so much fun. She's so different than Everett. I mean, Everett was (and is!) amazing and fun, but in a totally different way!




She turned 9 months in November. I'm looking everywhere for her stats from her last check-up (bad mom!). She was over 19 pounds and 30 inches. Very tall!

She's such a mover! I like to imagine she's on quests. Mini Don Quixote.

She recently learned to make kisses. She won't kiss anyone. If you put skin next to her, you get open mouth. But she will kiss the air.

More and more, her sounds seem intentional. "Mama," "dada," "buh buh" for "brother," and there's even something that sounds an awful lot like "Everett."

Posted on Facebook: "Lydia's been doing this laugh/noise that reminds me of Gob Bluth talking about his three thousand dollar suit. It cracks me up."








The kids love to attend Grandpa George's puppet shows. This last time, Everett got stickers for answering questions correctly! Comprehension! 

More about Everett.

He's not taking regular naps anymore!! We made it to 3.5. That's pretty good. I'm a little nervous about what we're going to do with our extended time together, and about dealing with the grump he sometimes becomes in the evenings without a nap. But I'm also LOVING skipping the ordeal of getting him down for a nap. And it's exciting to think of the new things we can do because we won't be working around nap time (his nap time--she still needs to sleep). If you're curious, we decided to stop naps because, all of a sudden, on the days he napped, it was very hard to get him to go to sleep at night. He'd be coming out over and over until 10 pm. He'd also not been regularly napping on his days with Phil and Gion (historically, he had gone down very quickly and easily for them). And he wasn't always a grump in the evening after skipping a nap. Sometimes he is. But not always. We'll see how it goes. New adventure!

We watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I skipped the "scary boat part," so Everett became obsessed and insisted he needed to watch that part. He thought he was very brave watching it, and he hasn't had any related nightmares . . . yet! 

Posted on Facebook: "Brian just told Everett not to be like Harry Potter. 'If you need help, ask an adult!' Nerd parents."




Bath time is pretty fun lately! She can only be in there a couple minutes with her rowdy brother, but she loves it.


She can hold her own with the splashing, I tell ya. These two can soak a bathroom!





She hasn't been sleeping well. I don't know if it's illness (she had some bronchitis a couple weeks ago) or development. But this mama is ti-red! She's so cute, though. I almost (ALMOST!) don't mind the late night/early morning cuddles.

Sometimes she doesn't want to cuddle, though. She cries inconsolibly and doesn't want to nurse, rock, or be bounced. What I've found works, watching Beyonce and Lady Gaga videos. Seriously. 




On to Thanksgiving!

Brian was crazy ambitious and volunteered to host. He did a great job organizing and cooking. And our family all pitched in with the food (and plates and chairs and champagne flutes).

We were so lucky to have Aunt Sue and Cousin Bob visiting. Sue from Boulder, Colorado and Bob from Alamo, CA. It made the occasion even more special.














 Playing Go Fish with his Grandmas. These kids are surrounded by love and fun.




Brian "being observed" by Phil the "master chef." Above, Aunt Sue recovers from having her earring yanked on.








I liked these two pictures above for showing the room a bit. Adults gathered around chatting. 


 Get ready for too much Lydia cuteness:








 She can't get enough of Grandpa George's beard.








Bob had a lot of fun with Lydia (and vice versa). He learned what we already knew. She's such a kick! Not even one year, and she has such a big personality. A big, joyful personality. 




Getting to use our (relatively) new table with all three leaves! Eight foot long table!! Worked perfectly.




I tried to get some good shots of the kids with their grandparents. It was a little late in the evening for cooperation.








 The wall hanging Everett made for us at preschool. Above, Lydia and Bob making noise.




Aunt Sue waited until the end of the evening to get out her iPad, knowing the kids would be immediately entranced.

Next month should be at least as fun! And by fun I mean looooooong! Christmas ho!!

1 comment:

The Studes said...

I don't think you should cut down on photos. I love both reading and seeing what your guys are doing. If you ever decide to put these blog posts into an actual book then I'm sure you will be happy for the photos. :)