Thursday, December 19, 2013

December, First Half


I've been considering starting to blog half way through the month, so I don't forget things that happened earlier in the month, and so the task of blogging isn't so daunting at the end of the month. 

Been considering, hadn't done it. Then Lydia started signing yesterday, and I thought, "I must blog this!!" 

She's doing "all done" and less frequently "more" and "milk." She's not entirely accurate or consistent with her signs. But she's so proud of herself!




Above: art for Everett is not limited to the paper. He really sees no reason to spare his hands, face, or clothing. And Lydia tries interpretive dance.




 This is the way she drinks now. It's not a fun little trick. It's the way it's done.








Gion bought a snowman Santa hat for Everett and reindeer antlers for Lydia. Everett was a very willing model. Lydia wanted nothing to do with strange things on her head.




My mom volunteered to ring the Salvation Army bell, so on the way to get our Christmas tree, we visited her. A little fun and entertainment during a very cold and boring shift.




Everett was VERY excited to help choose a Christmas tree. We were "those parents" who let their kid run around the tree farm like a . . . very happy kid running through Christmas trees. Pretty quickly we stopped him, though, and Brian explained that we wouldn't be choosing one of the fancy display trees. We had to choose a tree from the cheep bin. But it's still a lovely tree.




We didn't plan to get a tree on Saturday the 7th because it was supposed to be raining. It wasn't raining, so we got our tree. We also got to enjoy some awesome "rainy day" skies.








We had fun decorating the tree. We put on Elf, made some hot chocolate, and tried to protect the ornaments from Everett's crushing feet. Just kidding. Sort of. He was very excited and tried to be very helpful. Mickey in the train didn't stand a chance, though. That ornament is too tempting and too fragile to be on the tree.

A quote from Facebook: 

"Everett is hilariously bad at hide and seek and telling jokes. 'What do astronauts eat? Cheerios and milk! And nuts! Have you ever heard of nuts in space?!?'"

He loves playing hide and seek, but he often wants to hide in the same spot over and over, and he can't wait long in a new spot. But he's getting better. 

He's also learning a ridiculous amount at school. I'm not ready for my baby boy to be spelling his name!! 




Lydia's been having a lot of fun lately. I brought out the play table she got at her shower. She loves playing with it when Everett's not pushing her away. She's also started getting the biggest kick out of putting her head on pillows. Put a pillow on the floor, and she will smile and laugh laying her head on it.




I realized lately that we had put the trampoline away, so I got it out. The kids have been enjoying it. Last week, though, Lydia got on top of it and stayed there for maybe 30 minutes! I thought it was amazing and wonderful (she seemed to be enjoying herself), but then she started whining and crying, and I realized she thought she couldn't get down by herself (she can). Oops!


I had a lovely birthday this year. We started celebrating a few days early with my parents (my mom was at a conference on the 12th). Chinese food and pineapple upside down cake. On the 12th, I was wild and took a sewing class (my parents bought me a new sewing machine for my birthday!!). In the evening, Phil and Gion had us over for a little party. My dad was also able to attend. They made me eggplant parmesan and flourless chocolate cake. Yum! I guess food is an important aspect of my birthday celebrations.

Saturday the 14th, Brian and I went to Kai Lana and had a lovely sushi dinner (despite--or because of--the terrible Christian Contemporary Christmas music they were playing). Then we went to get a few groceries at Vons, JUST THE TWO OF US!! And lastly, we went to Yogurt Creations. Unfortunately, they weren't offering "Euro Tart," my flavor of choice.

Overall, I think 31 was more relaxed than 30. Although I had a lovely time turning 30, I felt pressure (all self inflicted) to be doing more (the date was 12/12/12!!). But I was largely pregnant and had a 2.5-year-old. It was not an appropriate (or comfortable) time to "party." And I don't even LIKE to "party"!








"Here's the mail it never fails. Makes me wanna wag my tail. When it comes I wanna wail: MAIL!!" That's what we sing when we get mail (it's from Blue's Clues). Here the kids are opening (eating) wonderful cards from Gretchen and Mark.




Last weekend, we went to the Cambria Christmas Market. It was very fun. Brian summed it up best as, "yep, that's a lot of lights." But it was festive (there was hot cocoa involved), and not nearly as crowded as some of the other holiday attractions in the area.

Speaking of holiday attractions, we haven't taken advantage of all the parades, Vine Street, Winter Wonderland, etc.. They're all so crowded, and at the beginning of the month, it was very cold. Maybe when the kids are older and really WANT to check these things out. We did attend the tree lighting at Sunken Gardens. And we went to the Hunters' "annual" Christmas movie night. I think that might be my favorite holiday tradition. I had so much fun, I didn't take any pictures!


And last for today. Everett had his school holiday performance last night. It was adorable. He knew all the songs and hand motions. Unfortunately, there were a lot of distractions for him during the actual performance (he was much more focused during rehearsal), but he was very cute. I was mostly relieved he didn't hurt anyone with that "wand" they gave him.




 Of course, the Grandmas and Grandpas came and were very proud of the "littlest snowflake."




After the show, we went to Roundtable to celebrate!

Until next post, which will include Christmas!!!


No comments: