HAPPY NEW YEAR!! It's January 2nd 2014, so naturally I must look back on the last two weeks of 2013. This blog includes Christmas (five celebrations total?!? phewf!), Katie's visit, a trip to see Great Grandpa Stanley, and two beach days. A wonderful end to 2013.
I was so excited when Everett recently started asking to play with play dough. He's not generally the most artsy kid. So him choosing to sit at the table and mix colors together made me very happy. He also helped me make a couple new batches. I took these pictures for a Beyond Fine blog I did when many friends asked for Ann's play dough recipe.
Having Brian home has been wonderful. I've gotten to sleep-in most days (and by sleep-in I mean, when I put Lydia back in her crib after her 4:00 feeding, I stay in bed despite the kids waking up, coming in, needing to be changed and fed breakfast. I go back to sleep when they clear out . . . most days. Man, I'm going to miss this when Brian goes back to work!).
Also, the above got to happen. The day after a particularly busy day, Lydia slept from maybe 9 to 3! And part of the time it was in Brian's arms, while he watched The Walking Dead on the laptop.
On to Christmas photos!!
This year was unusual. Katie came into town late on Christmas Eve, so we didn't do our regular dinner and gifts with the Cisneroses on Christmas Eve. Instead, we did Christmas Eve lunch and gifts with my parents (we couldn't do dinner with them because my dad was committed to singing in TWO Christmas Eve services plus a rehearsal!).
The kids had a great time opening presents from Grandma Kathie and Baba George, of course. Lydia had learned that bows go on top of boxes, so she would put them there, even if it was time to open the box.
It was BIRD CHRISTMAS this year!! My parents gave us a bird clock, bird seed, finch feeders, and every suet "flavor" that exists. The next day, no collusion involved, my in-laws gave Brian a birding book (like Audubon but Nat Geo). BIRD CHRISTMAS!!
Babies are amazing. I mean, ours are particularly amazing (of course), but I think parents in general forget what babies can do when they have big kids.
Brian put the bow on Lydia's head and on his head. Then she thought she's try putting the bow on her own head. Funny girl.
When we got home from the Asdel Grands', Everett helped Brian make cookies for Santa. We tried to keep the Santa rituals to a minimum, but it was fun to make him cookies.
Then Brian made homemade pizza, and Everett helped him put on the toppings.
After dinner, we opened our presents to each other. I think we did pretty well: E sleeping with his new plane.
The next morning, the kids woke to stuffed stockings (I made Brian and Lydia's stockings at the last minute--Rachel made Everett and my stockings before his first Christmas) and Santa gifts.
Not knowing entirely how I feel about Santa, but also not feeling completely comfortable ignoring the idea, I picked up a couple little things for the kids. Everett got an antique red cast iron caboose ($5 at Vineyard Antiques), and Lydia got a piece of coral ($4 at Vineyard Antiques). My goal for the future is to keep the gifts in the $5 - $10 range. Santa can seem like a world traveler, naturalist, lover of antiques, etc. I just don't want him to be shopping at Target or on Amazon (like Mom and Dad do). Continuing with the simplicity thing, I put the gifts in plain cardboard boxes wrapped in brown paper and tied with cotton twine. The tags were a little shiny.
Everything went over well Christmas Morning, even stockings filled with oranges, peanuts, TJs chocolates, and toys from the dollar store. "Santa" couldn't even finish two cookies ("he" was still full of pizza), and the milk (yuck!) that had been sitting out for several hours (double yuck!!) got dumped down the drain. Bad (wasteful) Santa!
Brian in his Jayne hat drinking out of his "pretty GREAT dad" mug (both presents from me).
We went to Phil and Gion's house for a DELICIOUS brunch. Then we opened presents.
Here Katie is opening the bookmarks we made. And Everett is playing with his new Dinosaur Train.
Our kids received so many thoughtful, educational gifts (plus a few just-for-fun ones like that Transformer!). Mom and Dad were pretty spoiled too.
We got Lydia in this dress for a few minutes and I took this adorable photo. Nice having my new camera for Lydia's first Christmas!
Katie got to experience the full personality of our little girl. They were having fun putting on and taking off the USC hat.
My parents came over to Phil and Gion's for Christmas dinner (cioppino). Very nice hanging out with everyone.
The day after Christmas, we spent some time at Cayucos with Phil and Gion. Christmas in California. Wow!
Unfortunately, Katie ended up working all day long and couldn't come to the beach. When she finally finished, Everett made himself comfortable on her lap and practiced typing his letters in a word document.
Katie and Brian playing cribbage. Lydia sneaking her brother's juice. I didn't know it was juice!!
Katie decided she would teach Everett how to play War. We were all surprised by how well Everett knows his numbers, which are higher or lower value. Brian was especially surprised.
We went to visit Stanley in Guadalupe. He seemed pretty charmed by Lydia. Everett was excited to find more sour grass in the backyard.
We were getting ready to leave for Avila, and Stanley decided he wanted to come along. He said it had been five years since he had been to the beach. It was a bit bright for him.
This was our last day with Katie. Sad. But we are so excited to see her again in April when we (Phil, Gion, Brian, the kids, and I) fly to Chicago!!!
2013 was a wonderful year. We met and fell in love with our amazing daughter, Lydia. We got to watch our awesome son grow and change and start preschool!
Looking forward to the fun 2014 will bring!!
A couple quotes from Facebook:
December 19th - "I was
feeling very 'is it Friday yet?!? UGH!' earlier today. Then I picked
Everett up at preschool. I told him to wish his friends 'Merry
Christmas,' and they all (well, almost all) proceeded to give him Merry
Christmas hugs. It was so sweet!!"
December 27th - "Earlier
this evening I watched as Lydia started standing up from a sitting
position. Before she could get all the way up, I yelled 'OH MY GOD!' And
of course, she fell down. Oops!"












2 comments:
I just love this family! Happy New Years 2014 to you - excited what it'll hold for us. Big hugs to you ☺️ Anne&Sven
Thank you Anne & Sven! Big hugs to you too!!
Post a Comment