Thursday, July 21, 2011

14 Month Blog

This is the first time I've been so late with the blog. Days and days later than any time before! But we've been busy working at the house, and I haven't had much computer time.


I was considering calling this month's blog "Lions and Tigers and Ducks Quack Quack!" Because this month has been so full of communication, and especially animal sounds.


It's been such an amazing month in so many ways. Not only is he saying all sorts of animal sounds and words, but he's become a great walker and sometimes runner.

He just blows my mind. I probably say that every month, but it's true. Babies are incredible. He learns things so quickly, but he's more creative and flexible than I ever could have imagined.

For example, I used to think a one-year-old wouldn't be able to correctly associate silly cartoon-y animals in strange colors with the actual animals, but he can! He can make the sounds for many of his toy animals, but I was surprised the first time he made the elephant sound (and motion) for his blue elephant toy. Besides having four legs, big ears, and a trunk (that doesn't look like a real trunk), it doesn't look like an elephant.


Yeah, so he's jibber jabbering jibber jabbering all day long. My favorite noise he makes is something like "tickle tickle boo," but if he's jabbering, and you repeat something that he said earlier, he looks at you like you've said something really important. "What were you saying about the tickle tickle boo momma?"


But he's saying a lot of real words too. I feel like I need to make a list of every word he can say. But here are a few (which he drops consonants off the end of, and changes the vowels of, but they're real!): moon, Dan (our neighbor), Barbara (another neighbor), hat, shoe, water (or agua),  (beyond the car, ball, mamma, daddy, etc. that he was doing before).

And of course, he knows a lot of animal sounds: elephant, lion, tiger, bear, dog, cat, sheep, duck, bee, monkey, horse, owl. He also makes a "fish face" where he moves his tongue up and down. It's after the 15th now, but in the last few days he's started hissing like a snake, and just today I taught him to move his tongue like a giraffe, which looks a lot like his "fish face."

A lot of these sounds are in the video I posted on Facebook, and if you've seen this video, you may think we're grilling him on these words and sounds, but he enjoys it! He loves "reading," and he loves telling you what he's seeing in the books.


I realize I didn't get it in the video, but he's also been singing his animal sounds! He has that Six Little Ducks book, and he started "singing" the "quack quack quack" part all the time. We all got it stuck in our heads!

He also likes pointing at things in the world when you ask where things are. I was so surprised one day when I said, "where's mommy's bike?" and he pointed right at it, even though I had only told him what it was once a few days before, and we're often talking about "grandpa's bike." But he pointed at the correct bike!

He can also point to his nose, tongue/mouth, hair, and toes.


Everything's good on the sleeping and eating fronts. He's been waking in the middle of the night more in the last few days, but since this blog's late, before 14 months, he was doing great! He's been teething a bit, and that might be waking him up.

He's started calling "mamma mamma" when he wakes, which is so adorable, but usually means he cannot be satisfied until he sees his momma.

I've made a momma saying, milk signing monster! But it's so cute!! {:


He has an idea of what breakfast, lunch, and dinner are, but if we really want him to understand what we're saying (and maybe get excited about eating), we'll say "mmmm" and do the sign for "eat," which is five fingers together at the mouth. He'll then say "mmmm,"do the sign, and usually stumble toward the kitchen.

What else does he do? Blows kisses (better than waving), brushes his teeth, smells the flowers (he's been doing that for a while now).

Here are some things we've done lately:

We went to Guadalupe to see Stanley and Ramona and some other Cisneros fam (Helen, Randy, and Sammy).


We went to the 4th of July parade in Santa Margarita with the Hunters and fam.



We had an awesome 4th of July BBQ with our families and Rachel, John and the kids, Ann, Nemiha and Avi. Phil and Gion did a great job of planning this fun/beautiful party.




We also got to see Laurel, her parents, her sister Sarah and her kids Caroline and Jebb.


It's been an amazing month. Sorry I was so late posting!!

No comments: