Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Kitchen Inspiration Board

A few of my friends have asked lately (on Facebook) for a kitchen update.

Truthfully, what's happening in the kitchen right now is very exciting for us, but not something I really want to blog about. Gas, plumbing, electrical, drywall . . . fun!!

So I put together a little "inspiration board" for the room, and I thought I would explain it.

If you're somebody who gave us something AWESOME for our wedding, and it's not featured on the page, I'm sorry! We haven't seen most of our stuff in almost a year (and some things we actually packed away after the wedding and have never used). We're both really excited to start unpacking and discover things we haven't thought about since December 2009!


1. Possible paint for the walls. The purple is for the kitchen, the peach for the dining area, and the teal for the living room. For some reason Brian and I talked about doing a purple kitchen, and it kinda stuck. I like that we don't really have any items that are purple, so it can't clash with anything.

2. After we talked about a purple kitchen, I went looking for fabric samples, and I found this lovely vintage-y piece. I'm thinkin' . . . curtains?

3. Since I saw this clock on Mod Cloth, I've wanted it for the kitchen. It's retro looking, I like the colors. Then I realized the colors of the clock will coordinate with the colors in the rest of the "great room." Very cool. I bought it this week, and it's being shipped to us now!

4. These are, like, the cheapest lights at the hardware store, but I think they'd give just the right feeling in the room.

5. Our IKEA faucet. Modern, getting away from the country-ness of the cabinets.

6. Beech wood countertops

7. Our green Kitchen Aid tea kettle

8. Our Hues N Brews tea pot

9. Our Stat IKEA cabinet doors. We chose these because, well . . . price. But beyond that, I wanted something that could feel retro. I checked out a bunch of books about ranch houses and mid century living, and most kitchens back then had completely flat cabinet doors, no embellishment. But, for me, when I look at flat doors, they always seem like they're not shut all the way. Or some are shut and some aren't. I think it's just the perspective, that there's nothing to use as reference for the perspective. So I noticed that some mid century kitchens had cabinets with ridges, like these, so we went with 'em. Now the goal is to make sure things don't start looking too country, because I know that's the objective of these doors, and I can't let it happen!! Or not much anyway. {:

10. We haven't bought knobs and pulls yet, but I'm thinking something like this. Silvery metal. Something small and circular for the knobs, and those bin pull things.

11. This is our owl wall hanging. I wish I had a better picture, but it's packed away.

12. Utensil holder. Not the exact one, but pretty darn close.

13. Our beautiful bowls from William Sonoma

14. I have a Natalie Dee shirt framed. It says, "let's eat sandwiches!" The frame is black.

15. I have a bunch of Fiestaware from my Grandma Fay. Not sure which pieces or what colors. It's all at my parent's house in my old room. {:

Fun! fun! I'll update the image if things change!

3 comments:

wendy said...

Such fun! I LOVE the beech countertops and the mix of colors!!

Rachel said...

I am so excited about that purple fabric. That was one of my favorite choices you got that day! And of course, I love the owl wall hanging! It is all going to look so good together!!

Christina said...

Thanks ladies!! I'm very excited.