Wednesday, August 3, 2016

July Post

This blog is a few days late because we went to Santa Cruz on the first and second. I'll write about that adventure next month!



On the first of July, we went to visit "Sue" at the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History. Since Katie doesn't live in Chicago anymore, we don't anticipate getting to see her in her natural habitat anytime soon.



We also enjoyed the butterfly pavilion, so much taxidermy, and Chad the blue whale skeleton.


Fourth of July parade in Santa Margarita with the Hunters!









Phil and Gion invited us over for a BBQ and making fresh strawberry ice cream! Yum!



Lydia teaching the men how to play Zingo.









Rosalind turned 11 months! And I took a bunch of pictures of her to get the perfect one for her birthday invitation. How do you choose?!

She's walking! She took a few steps before turning 11 months, so I'd definitely count it as walking at 10 months. But she's improved so much since becoming an 11-month-old. The other two walked around 13/14 months, so she's definitely the early walker of the group.

Her personality is coming through more and more. It's so fun to experience.



Our sleeping beauty with punk rock hair.


Impromptu BBQ with the Presleys since Garrett and the boys were in town.


We took Everett to see The BFG. We'd read the book together not that long ago. It was fun! Weird movie, but a fun book and movie milestone.


"Look! Daddy's spitting water!" This is the Good Night Chicago book Katie gave us.


Everett's "the iPad isn't working" face. Mean mom isn't too sympathetic.



Family walks around the lake. And a family shopping trip to The Gap that was wild, but Roz looked funny/cute in her seat.





Getting pumped for Henry and Melissa's wedding!! Rehearsal dinner. Roz practices her tetherball.


The wedding!! I didn't get any pictures of the ceremony since they had an awesome photographer. It was a beautiful ceremony and reception. It was perfectly them: fun and funny and full of love and good feelings . . . and good music . . . and good food!



The morning after Lydia woke up then fell asleep on the couch for a few more hours! Not too surprising. A guest at the wedding told me she was the dancing queen. She had a blast.

We started reading Harry Potter to Everett! So exciting! We got the illustrated version, and its beautiful. Brian and I are switching off every night, and we have Everett refresh the other parent to help with his retention. It almost makes up for the chapters we miss.




Speaking of illustrations, I've made myself a little project this summer. I've been teaching myself how to paint with watercolors. My subjects are the kids' loveys.




Beach days! It's hard to match the pure joy these kids exude while at the beach.



We had a fun play date with the Conrads. Roz decided to turn into a kid before our eyes.


The kids watched The Princess Bride for the first time. It went over really well! Not too scary. And Everett totally empathized with Fred Savage's character, "they're kissing again!" 



Roz eating pizza and swinging at a baby friend's first birthday. And I thought Everett how to stick a gummy peach ring into his lip. Life lessons from Mom.


More beach! This time we were prepared! And it was foggy, of course.




Phil and Gion took the kids to the fair! They all had a blast. Lots of rides and animals and fair food! Brian and I stayed home and worked around the house. It was my favorite fair experience so far. I did my own thing, but I got to see the kids reactions through text message.


Family swim day! Gion took us all to the pool. It was the day after Everett's last swim lesson, and he got to show us his moves! Rozzy loved the water. She was less upset by changes in water temperature than I was. Another water puppy in the family!



Two sweet Roz pictures before saying good-bye. I took these on July 31st, her due date. I thought a lot that day about how I was feeling a year ago, completely unaware that I wouldn't meet her for two more weeks!

What an amazing, action packed month! August is shaping up to be the same! Until then.

No comments: