Thursday, July 3, 2014

June Post

Well, hello July!!




I got a new hat, and Lydia loves stealing it. She looks better in it than I do.




Pillow fights with Grandma Gion.

Lydia's been saying more words. She still doesn't enunciate anything, but we can tell what she's saying. Her new words are: dog, duck, down, mine, bubble, buckle, baby, and she says "bye" more clearly while she's waving.

Lydia LOVES babies and dogs. Everett never cared about babies or animals like she does.

Speaking of language and differences. He learned and enunciated words earlier than her, but she's learning to make sounds in a way I don't remember him doing. She likes to play with the buckle on the changing table, and when she almost has it bucked, I'll say "push," and she goes "shhh, shhh." I think she's practicing that sound. Not the whole word yet, but just part of it. Interesting. 




Making Jell-O with Grandma Kathie (AKA, putting hands in the Jell-O, forcing Grandma to spend half the activity cleaning Jell-O off Everett's hands).

Watching Frozen at Dad's work. The kids LOVED it (movies are way better in public than at home), and they were so well behaved.




Water balloons in the cannon! Genius summer activity.




I take some pretty great pictures of the kids. That apple one is a winner, I must admit. I will not be admitting it was a complete accident . . . doh!




I took some pictures on Everett's "last day" of his first year of preschool. Pretty silly, right? Because he's going to school through the summer. But this might turn into a tradition of last day of school pictures and interviews. We'll see.


Sweet boy. I can't believe he's already writing his name. At the beginning of the year, it was just a scribble.

He really has been sweet lately. He compliments people. He complimented Brian on his recent renovation project. And he tells us how yummy dinner is quite often. I guess all the examples we've been setting are paying off.

He did "Spanish camp" for a week this month, so he's been having fun practicing his Spanish words and songs. Señora Wallace was impressed that he'd retained so much from last year. I guess we review a bit throughout the year.




Everett's preschool hosted a magic show for Father's Day. Everett and Brian picked up In N Out and picnicked in amazement.

Everett loves his new goggles. His nose being covered has remedied any reluctance he used to have about swimming.

Gion has been taking both kids to the pool on weekends. They're both getting more comfortable in the water, and Everett is definitely ready for his lessons coming up soon!




Wizard of Oz and popcorn nearly naked on the couch.




We built Toothlesses at Lowes with friends.




We had a lovely Father's Day. Gion and Phil brought us breakfast! And bloody marys! And mimosas! Excellent. Later we went disc golfing as a family.




Everett's been having fun with all sorts of blocks and building materials. Here he made an "E" and an "L" together for Everett and Lydia. Then he built an "every people car" with seats for our family members plus Marshall and Miller.




We finally got Everett his own library card so Phil and Gion don't have to put his books on their cards every time they take him to the library.

My lovely in-laws also sent us PIZZA from CHICAGO! Yummmmm. Everett had a lot of fun playing with the dry ice it was packed in. And we all had fun reminiscing about our Chicago trip while we ate the deep dish pies.


When my parents got back from Live Oak, there was the traditional "gifting of the tie dye." Expect to see one of our children in tie dye at all times.




We had fun visiting with Cousin Bob when he was in town. We took him to Morro Bay. Literally, we took him. I sat in the back seat with these beautiful babes. It was a little cramped.




We went to the Santa Barbara Zoo without much planning. How spontaneous!

Despite a bit of complaining about the trip, Everett told us our zoo day was one of his best days ever. He called it a "100 good day."




Brian packed Everett's lunch last week, and he wrote this note. He's showing me up!

I thought Lydia was watching Elmo on the couch, but she had fallen asleep! Little stinker has been waking up much earlier than usual, but we've also gotten her down to one nursing at night, none in the early morning. Things should mellow out soon. 




We recently went to the bank as a family and got Everett his own bank account. He had some birthday checks to deposit. Goofball.

We got home and Everett wanted to paint his complementary piggy bank. He covered that whole pig. Didn't miss a spot. Lydia thought the paint was a delicious treat.




Park play date with friends, where the field with bubbles was much more interesting than the play structures.

And banana splits. A character in a book we recently read ordered a banana split, which gave us a delicious idea.




Everett used some of his aforementioned birthday money to buy more LEGO!! I didn't look at the age recommendation on the box (8-14 whoops!), so I built most of his ninja plane. But he's been enjoying modifying it in very inventive ways. 

Some enjoyable facebook posts: 

"Everett was just telling me about a different kind of Santa Claus named "Dave Claus" who brings presents to kids during summer, autumn, and spring, while they're awake. Dream on Buddy!"

"Everett: What does Heilmann mean?
Me: I don't know. It's probably someone's name.
Everett: Bruno.
Me: Bruno Heilmann?
Everett: Yes."


Until next month!! 

No comments: