Unfortunately, this has been a month mostly marked by illness, but we've had some good times too!
First, early in the month, he started getting hives! I called the doctor, but they didn't seem too concerned. We got some children's benadryl, but never used it because he never seemed too bothered by them.
Then a couple weeks ago, he got a bad cold that came with congestion, boogers, cough, and probably a sore throat. He was a zombie baby for a few days (meaning he was zone-y, not that he was eating brains).
The cold made us miss a few holiday events such as the walk around the lake and Winter Wonderland--both things we were planning to do with the Hunters }: We did go to the tree lighting in Sunken Gardens with Phil and Gion, and Everett got to see Santa in a Fire Engine!!
Then we went to Sushi, and he ate a ton! He's been eating so much lately. But he's not gaining that much weight, so I guess he's burning it off.
He didn't learn many new words when he was sick (or he didn't say the words he was learning), but as soon as he was feeling better, BOOM, chatterbox!
He seriously learns one, two, or more words a day! I feel bad not writing them all down with the date, but I know I'd miss some, get behind, and feel like a failure. So I'm just not going to attempt it at all. Go me!
Here are some words that he's learned: meat, rice, shoot (as in "shoot that water"), magnet, soup (sounds like suit-p), diaper (sounds like die-poo), sock, nut, cup, floss, rat, mine (uh oh!), shower, work, school bus, dump truck, button (just says butt), soap, waffle, pizza . . . .
Some Christmas related words: snow man, bow, bell (or is he saying ball?), snow globe, Santa says, "ho ho ho" or "ha ha ho."
![]() |
| Thanksgiving |
His tractor sound has actually morphed into the word: tra-ca-ter
He finally says paci. It's such a common object in his world, but for the longest time, he didn't have a name for it. Just this week, he started calling it "pass" and then "paci."
He makes these sounds like gobble gobble or cah-ble cah-ble. It seemed that he was relating it to turkey near Thanksgiving, but then apples have this sound, and then other random objects get these sounds. I kind of think cah-ble is his current word for random objects. We'll see.
He counts "1, 2, go!" Three's eluding him so far.
He says "night night" and goes to his room. This is just a play thing. He doesn't actually sleep. He'll just lay his head on the bed and sometimes play snore.
I don't know if I should admit this, but besides Elmo, Everett can also name Bert and Ernie, Big Bird, Super Grover, and Baby Bear. We don't watch that much, I promise! (:
We bought a new (to us) car recently (!!), and Everett calls it "new car." How do I spell that to make it more of a closed "O" sound like in "juice" or "caboose"? He used to call the Subaru "daddy's car," but I've very quickly taught him that it's "mommy's car," and the KIA is "daddy's car." But tonight, he called the Subaru "white car." WHA?!?! Wow.
He's called Gion's car "blue car" before. I don't know why that surprised me so much.
In preparation for Katie coming home for Christmas, we've re-taught him to say "Katie."
And we think he may be starting to say "Grandma"!!
This is so language heavy, I promise he's doing other things!
He's digging in the dirt with sticks.
He's stacking blocks to amazing heights.
Tonight he was playing with a silver tea set at his grandparents', and he was pouring it and MAKING BELIEVE that he was drinking out of the cup. Blew me away.
He's just the sweetest, silliest, smartest toddler I know! We love him!
.
.
.
12/16 -- I just wanted to add, since this blog is mostly for my own personal use, to aid my memory. We've been having some sleeping issues lately. Overall, him being in his big bed has helped all our sleep. He seems to sleep sounder and comes into our bed less than when he was in the crib. And now, when he needs us, one of us can go sleep with him in his bed instead of both of us loosing sleep with him in our bed, kicking and wiggling.
But, the thing that's trying my patience lately is his late bedtimes! He wakes up early, maybe 6:00 or 6:30. He plays until his nap at around 1:00. After the nap I'll do something to specifically burn off energy, like play outside, go shopping, or play at grandma and grandpa's, and he still wants to go to bed at 9:00 or 9:30!! I tell ya, I love that I get to stay home with my baby all day, but if I don't get an hour or two of "adult time" before getting ready for bed myself, I feel like I'm going to go crazy.
Guess we'll just have to try harder to get that energy used up. I've been trying, but I've by no means "tried everything."



No comments:
Post a Comment