Well, as you know, we just bought a house! . . . a fixer upper at that. It's an exciting new project, but also a very daunting and expensive one.
We moved from a tiny one bedroom apartment in San Jose to Phil and Gion's. We didn't have much in SJ, but we even pared down some to move back to Atascadero.
So we need stuff. This is not a plea for gifts. I'm just trying to use our contacts wisely. You may have things you need to get rid of. Don't go to the thrift store, come to us! Don't post on Craig's List, come to us! . . . we'll happily pay for something we need (if the price is right).
For reference, I'm calling the house's style "grandma chic." Got something that looks like it belongs in your grandma's house? We want it! {:
I'd also welcome tips on where to buy things at a bargain: flea markets, thrift stores, estate sales, appliance stores that will let you "buy now pay later," etc.
Our biggest expense is the kitchen. We're starting from SCRATCH!
We'll need:
toaster oven
kitchen shelving (shelving doesn't need to seem kitchen-specific)
bar stools (no need to match, just height--yet to measure but normal counter height)
pendant lighting
We're also going to be looking for some extra furniture.
Just so you know (and now I start sounding ungrateful), our style can be described as vintage, retro, kitschy, hipster. I'm just saying. If something was made pre-1980, I'm more likely to love it. {:
Things I'll be looking for:
dining room table
dining room chairs (no need to match)
chest of drawers
Queen Ann/wingback chair
Other cool-shaped living room chair
side tables (for bedroom and living room)
sofa bed (for studio/guest room--no need to be pretty or stylish)
And some other random things we'll be looking for:
vacuum cleaner
retro light fixtures/accessories
lamps
vintage hardware, specifically knobs with flowers
outdoor furniture
36x79 solid front door
native plants (for yard)
and
. . . a car? {:
and
. . . a car? {:
It's possible (probable) we'll add more to this list. There are things we need that we won't even know we need until we start moving in.
If you're getting rid of something home-related, please ask me if we're interested. Send me a picture? Thanks!!
4 comments:
There is a great salvage yard in Atascadero....I really wish I could remember what it is called... but basically its an architectural salvage yard (doors, windows, sinks, tubs, metal, scraps, all kinds of weird fun stuff!). I'll email someone and see if I can get the name of the place. Also if you are ever up in Santa Cruz there is Clear water Baazar and most of his stuff is under 200 bucks (and he loves to haggle) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clearwater-Bazaar/385225396659
Ok, never mind about the salvage yard. its mostly scraps. http://www.yelp.com/biz/heilmann-salvage-and-metals-atascadero
Thanks Jessi! We talked about going there a while back. I'd still like to go, even if it's mostly scraps. {:
Might have a tall dining table that fits your needs. It's light wood with white legs, comes with four chairs, and a leaf. Technically it belongs to my mother in law, but has been in our garage for more than a year.
I'll talk it out with the husband and see what he says.
Post a Comment