Saturday, April 16, 2011

11 Month Blog (it's Brian's birthday!)

(another late blog . . . sorry)

Happy April 15th!! This is a very exciting day for us. It's Brian's 28th birthday! Everett is 11 months old. Brian's two week SPRING BREAK starts today! And we got final confirmation that we're homeowners! Yay!! . . . more on that in another blog.

Developmentally, this hasn't been the most action-packed month. He's basically doing all the same stuff. He's just getting better at it.


He's not walking yet, just pulling himself up on stuff and "cruising." But he's much more stable now and stronger. Just today he was pushing the chair with his booster seat attached to it around the kitchen, and I said, "he couldn't do that a couple weeks ago!"


He's started crawling behind the couch and playing back there. It's pretty funny.


He blows me away with his motor skills. He can make a basket in his basketball hoop. He can place a rod into a toy with a hole in it. He can place toys like caps on other toys, and he can pick up little pieces of food and put them in his mouth so well!


Speaking of food, he's eating a lot. I think he's getting pickier. If you give him a choice of food items, he'll usually have a preference. Today he was eating sweet potatoes, kidney beans, and chicken, and the kidney beans were the clear favorite, followed by chicken, and he didn't want anything to do with the sweet potatoes toward the end of the meal.

If he sees his food on a plate out-of-reach, he'll point to what he wants and squeal.


He may be eating better because he's getting his MOLARS!! One on his top right and one on his bottom right have broken through, and the same teeth on the left side are just below the surface. I'm really happy these teeth coming in haven't seemed to affect him much. Besides being a bit more drooly, he hasn't been upset or sleeping poorly (ok, this week he's woken up once a night, but he's gone back to sleep with a little belly rub from his daddy).


He just gets more and more aware. He totally understands what "daddy" means. You say "daddy," and he looks right at Brian. He's almost as good with "grandma" and "grandpa," but I'm not so sure if he understands "mommy." I think I don't say it enough. (;


He's started understanding that you shake your head to mean "no." Too bad, I kind of like when he shakes his head when he's excited. But he's certainly catching on.


He's a big fan of dogs, deer, the moon, and con trails (the above picture he was watching a hawk).


Brian swears he said "up" the other day, and I swear he said "off" today. Or at least as close as he can get to those words.

He's been talking more to himself. You'll catch him quietly vocalizing while he's playing. I'm sure it's very deep stuff.


He makes this "ant face" look a lot still, when he's being silly or when he's sleepy. He's also started doing FISH FACE!! It's so cute. He'll do it when he's eating and sometimes when he's just playing.


We've been going to Kidz Club at Kennedy Gym from 9 to 12 on Thursdays. I'm doing it to get a free membership (which I have yet to USE!) and to get some socialization for baby. It's been pretty fun so far, and Everett loves to watch the big kids (mostly 2-year-olds) run around and play. I'll get in the pool soon, I swear.

So it's Brian's birthday! He's 28 today. Wife, baby, career, new house. That's pretty good for 28!


What to say about the best husband, father, provider, friend I could ever have asked for on his birthday? Well, "happy birthday. I'm happy you're my age again." That's my usual message on his birthday. Four months being younger than me is TOO LONG! {:


But seriously. It's going to be a great year. I feel very fortunate to be sharing these new adventures of parenthood, homeownership, and residing in the town we grew up in (!?!) with a handy guy who is a great daddy, has a lot of energy, and has the same amount of healthy skepticism in the wonders of the central coast as I do (plus a great appreciation for it).

On a petty note, I'm happy to be designing renovation projects and picking out paint colors with a person whose aesthetic sensibilities are so close to my own that he picked out an engagement ring so perfect for me I could never have picked it out for myself. He has great taste.

I love you Brian, and I think we're both going to enjoy your 28th year!

No comments: