Saturday, January 15, 2011

Eight Month Blog

It didn't occur to me, when I was waiting to write this blog, that the 15th would fall on a Saturday this month. Meaning . . . Brian is home today! This fact is both awesome and might render this blog quite short.

But Everett just went down for a nap, so I'm going to whip up a little entry.

My little man is 8-months-old today!! And although the time has flown by, he's doing so many amazing and grown-up-type things that the 8-month label doesn't bother me. He's only 8-months-old?!? He seems like he's about to enter Kindergarten! {:


This has been an amazing month. He's so active and inquisitive.

He's still not "crawling crawling" on hands and knees, but boy can he move! He gets all over the living room, foyer, hallway, kitchen on his belly and elbows (people call this the army crawl).


One day we noticed that he was just popping up to a sitting position from crawling. No big deal! (;


But the last few days, he's been blowing our mind, pulling himself up to stand on EVERYTHING! Anything that you can imagine he could possibly pull himself up on, he can pull himself up on: toy box, crib, couch, chairs, coffee table, side tables, the cage Phil built around the furnace, the rocking chair, the doors to the living room with glass in them, his piano, the guitar, us while we're sitting, etc.


We're wondering if he'll start walking before he even "really crawls." My parents claim I basically went straight to walking. But I had a walker, and they thought it may have been the walker that taught me the "right moves."


His favorite things are the one-handed pepper grinder, table legs, and anything of ours that he's not supposed to have.

His new thing to do that he knows we find cute is to scrunch up his shoulders and squint his eyes. It's hard to get a picture of it, because it usually just looks like he's chubby.


He's still not a great sleeper. Meaning he wakes up to eat about twice in the middle of the night. Our strategy with Dr. Patterson was working well, then suddenly he changed. His cry at night is different now, less of a baby cry and more his big boy "I'm hungry and annoyed" cry. Brian can no longer comfort him to sleep. When he tries, Everett just cries more and eventually I break down and come in to feed him. Last month I was able to just feed him on one side (to try to increase his feeding in the day), but lately he'll cry after one side and insist on the next. So we're dealing and hoping the sleep comes soon. I can't believe I've only had a handful of full night's sleeps in 8 months!!

To try to get him to sleep better, I'm attempting to have him eat more. I know everyone says solids don't help a baby sleep better, but I'm willing to try!!

When we gave him rice cereal, he acted like we were trying to poison him. Bananas weren't much better. We had more success with some minestrone soup the other night, broth, mashed zucchini, white beans, and carrots. The next night we put the soup through the food processor and he sipped that concoction too. He's also done alright with squash and has warmed up to bananas.


He has all seven teeth in, four on top and three on bottom. I admit, I sort of miss my little vampire.

He's selectively waving to people. The other morning, Brian left for work and said "bye" as he closed the door behind him. I said, "bye bye daddy!" and Everett waved his hand! So sweet.


I ran out of time while writing the last blog to talk about our trip to see Everett's great grandma and grandpa Ramona and Stanley Cisneros. On December 27th, while Katie was visiting, we caravanned down to Guadalupe. It was a nice visit. We brought Ben Franklin sandwiches, and we all caught up while Ramona and Stanley played with Everett.


They were in really good spirits and sharp as tacks!


Ok, it's now 7:30. Many hours after I started writing this blog. Everett came house-hunting in Paso Robles with us today. Brian carried him in the Ergo. We saw five houses, and Everett was so good!! We're home now, playing before some friends come over for poker!

We are having so much fun with our little guy. He surprises us every day!

No comments: