Saturday, December 18, 2010

Change Days

One would think that babies develop gradually day to day, and they probably do. But our experience, living with an infant, is that there are days you just stop and say, "he's different today!" It can be as simple as noticing he has more hair, or he might just look older, but usually it's something developmental that he wasn't doing before.

In our house, we can these events "Change Days." Yes, we're very clever. (;


It's funny to me that big changes seem to have happened right around this "birthday." On the 15th of the month, I blog about the last 30 days, and right around then, big things have happened. They've either just started, and I haven't acknowledged the change, or they happen right after the 15th.

Last month, he started blowing raspberries on cue, then blowing raspberries on our arms, then making the "ahh" noise when we tap on his mouth. And I tell you, that's when it hit me that I'm raising a genius baby!

This month, he's been taking longer naps, sleeping better at night, and (we think) understanding the mirror concept. How do I know that? Well, we have a big mirror in the landing, and if I hold him there, he'll look at me in the mirror, then turn and look at the real me, the look back and forth. Brian says he's noticed him doing similar things in his mirror toy.


It also sort of seemed that one day (a few days back) he could just sit better. We propped him up, and he stayed there, whereas a day before, if we'd have done that, he would have fallen over.

All these things are probably connected. He's sleeping more because he's moving more and sitting and using more energy. He's understanding more about his world which makes him want to explore more things.

It's just amazing to all of us that this little being has been here with us for only seven months, and he's learned so much!

No comments: