Sunday was my 28th birthday. Woah. I never mind getting older because as long as I can remember (or at least since my teens) I've had a completely irrational desire to grow up. Marriage, children, house, career, those are the things I dream about (not the freedom of youth), and I've accomplished quite a few of my goals, "so I've got that going for me . . . which is nice."
Gion had told us a little while back that their family tradition was to go get their tree on December 18th, which was her father's birthday. I then mentioned that we "could get a tree on my birthday!" Which seemed like a great idea at the time. Then the presents started piling up behind the living room chair, and I wondered if maybe we should have gone to the Christmas tree farm the week before. But we'll see when it starts to dry out (Gion abolishes all trace of Christmas on December 26th or 27th, so it doesn't need to last too long).
So Sunday was my day to sleep in (Brian usually gets Saturdays). While I slept, Brian made blueberry waffles and came and got me when they were ready.
After all the mandatory baby tasks (napping, nursing, changing, packing), we headed to the Christmas tree farm.
To my knowledge, this was a first for me. When I was younger, we had a potted Xmas tree, and in high school we had fake trees. So I had never picked out a tree or cut one down (still didn't--left that to Brian). It was very exciting!
On the way home we picked up In-N-Out. If you're curious (and how could you not be!?!), I got a grilled cheese with onions, fries, and since it was my birthday, a chocolate shake!
When we got home, we arranged the tree to show off its good side. Then we decorated! Which I do have some experience with, and it's always super fun!
I was going to joke and say Everett helped, but Everett did not help. He grabbed at the branches, though, which was cute and made his hands smell like conifer!
After the tree trimming, we relaxed, did some laundry, put away some laundry. I wrapped some gifts (which I enjoy immensely). I could TOTALLY be a professional gift wrapper, if such a thing paid (well).
![]() |
| Everett's 5 teeth! This is the first time I've been able to get them on camera! |
Then when Phil got home from work, we headed to my parents' house for a birthday dinner.
We had soup and salad and acorn scones. And my parents even opened wine! Everett tried out his booster seat, but was not too enthusiastic about that, so we put him in his bouncer and he bounced through the rest of dinner.
My mom resurrected a Butterfield tradition, and made me a pineapple upside down cake, yum! But she made some special modifications for me. It was organic! And, knowing I hate maraschino cherries, she used dried cranberries instead.
Both sets of parents gave me some awesome gifts, which for reasons of tack, time, and space, I'll keep to myself.
It was a lovely birthday. Just the right amount of celebration. But every day I get to spend with Brian and Everett is a perfect day for me. Awwww.




No comments:
Post a Comment