Thursday, November 18, 2010

Co-Sleeping


First of all, this is not an opinion piece; this is an appeal for conversation. And I don't want other's opinions on which style of sleeping they believe is best, because I already know all the arguments for and against, and your opinion won't change mine.

Ok, with that . . .

I view myself as a natural/hippie parent with a go-with-the flow attitude. I generally subscribe to the ideas of Attachment Parenting, but if any of those ideas don't fit my lifestyle, I have no problem abandoning them.

Breast feeding: awesome! Totally works for us. Free baby food and mandatory cuddling throughout the day! Love it! And I stay home, so it's easy.

Baby wearing: think it's a great idea, but it's not often necessary for us, so we haven't perfected it. We tried out an Ergo recently, though, and we may be converts.

Cloth diapering: it's worth the extra work to save the environment and money, although since I've been so sleep deprived the last month+, he's been sleeping in a disposable. The LAST thing I want to deal with after a night of constantly interrupted sleep is soaked blankets and sheets.

Food: Everett's probably never going to have rice cereal or baby food from a jar. We'll just moosh up fruits and veggies when he's interested and let him feed himself.

But co-sleeping is a conundrum for me. When I reason it out logically, I come to the conclusion that it's a bad option for our family.

Especially when he was smaller, I felt very uncomfortable having him in bed with us. I didn't trust either of us not to roll onto him, and I still have a little fear of this.

He has slept very long stretches in his crib, I know he has no aversion to it, and the idea of keeping him comfortable sleeping in his own bed sounds just great to me. We'll never have to transition him when he's older, and "mommy" and "daddy" can have their own private space--because that's very important to us.

I'd almost rather wake once or twice a night, fed him a full meal (I watch a TV show on Instant Watch), we go back to our respective beds, and I know exactly how much sleep I'm getting in a given night--instead of waking throughout the night for him to have little snacks, and I'm sleeping in this limbo-land.

And at the heart of this issue, I'm physically very uncomfortable nursing Everett in bed. I love cuddling with my babe, but I have in no way mastered the very key skill of feeding him lying down/while basically asleep.

So if I have all these reasons not to co-sleep, then why even try?!? Well, Everett's been waking up three to four times a night for the last month+ to nurse, and I'm TIRED!! I've tried wearing him out, bathing him, putting him to bed early, putting him to bed late, giving him Tylenol, etc., etc., but nothing seems to work consistently. I tell myself that he's teething. He's very uncomfortable, and when he wakes in the middle of the night, he needs to be comforted and fed. This especially uncomfortable teething will soon be over for him, and we'll all start sleeping better. But when you're in the middle of it, it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

So I may try co-sleeping more seriously. Maybe I've been doing it wrong.

I consulted Dr. Sears, and his instructions involve 5 pillows! Really?!? First of all, I'm not sure we own 5 pillows. And secondly, I sometimes have issue with the sheets/blankets in the middle of the night, how am I supposed to coordinate 5 pillows? I didn't even have strategically placed sleeping-pillows when I was pregnant; I just slept.

So is there a way to get comfortable without 5 pillows?

We start this process with the age-old question of what to do with your arm. We've all had this question while sleeping with a sweetie: "I like spooning, but where should I put my arm? Do I place it under his neck so he's super uncomfortable, or do I lay on top of it until it falls asleep?" It's even worse with the baby (unless I'm, of course, doing it wrong). I position him low, then kind of shoot my arm out to the side (which is awkward when Brian gets a finger in his eye), or kind of hook my arm around like I'm doing "the robot."

Next is the question of switching sides. Generally, when he nurses, he eats on both sides. So is it necessary to switch positions while co-sleeping? Do I roll him over me, risking the loss of his meal all over me? Or do I roll over him, causing a huge commotion in bed?

Have I mentioned that a week or so ago, I somehow managed to pull a muscle in my shoulder while trying to nurse him in bed?!?

Then I start wondering if I'm physically not cut out for co-sleeping/nursing. Before my milk came in, I was basically flat-chested, and I'm not all that much bigger now. I can't move my breasts around. My nipples are basically stationary. Everett and I need to coordinate to get him to the breast . . . it doesn't come to him. {:

Sleep deprivation is hard for me. I'm one of those "lucky" people who does much better on 8 or 9 hours of sleep a night, and I feel like I'd be a much better mom with more sleep.

So prompting this blog . . . we tried co-sleeping/nursing again last night, and it was a disaster--in my opinion. for starters, I was uncomfortable. No surprise there. Then, whenever he "woke" and wanted to nurse, he would cry. Not a whimper, a cry. And it woke Brian up every time. Usually when he cries at night, I get up and take care of him, and Brian stays asleep. This is how I like it, because Brian gets up early to work, and I stay-at-home. It wouldn't have been so bad, but it seemed to us that Everett cried every hour?!? Then I would shuffle around and try to get him on the breast. Even tried to give him the pacifier a few times, but he wasn't really awake, so he just shook his head and refused it.

I'm wondering if he's conditioned to cry at night because he's usually in his own crib and needs to cry to get my attention.

So . . . thoughts? Am I doing it wrong? How do you make it work? If you co-slept, would you do it again?

Thanks.

Signed,

Tired in Atascadero

6 comments:

Adina said...

Well, you know my opinion on co-sleeping. B is still in our room. LOL

So, that being said, some folks can do it, some can't.

We have a king bed, that was the first thing I found to make it easier. Otherwise, there just wasn't enough room.

Do you have a cosleeper? And Arm's Reach Cosleeper might be the happy medium you need. Out of your space but close enough you don't have to fully drag yourself out of bed every time her needs you.

One trick I had for switching sides for nursing was to put her to bed so that she was on the right side for me to roll over and nurse her next. B nursed to sleep until she was like 3, and I don't know if that's how you roll. But I would nurse her, and make sure she was positioned for a minimum of effort when she next needed nursing.

Also, I didn't move her until she woke again to nurse. So we nursed, fell back asleep, then when she woke to nurse again, I would switch sides with her. No risk of spitting up, since her tummy was empty again.

As for nursing lying down, big boobs don't help. LOL It took us a long time to get it going, and I have heard that a lactation consultant (who comes to your house) can really help you figure it out. It is the single best thing I ever took the time to learn.

As for the arm, well, yeah, not super comfy. Mind was usually under my head, or stretched out over B's head.

He probably is used to crying loud enough to wake you up, and may need some adjustment time to get used to your being right there. :)

Our cosleeping went like this: when she was brand new we had the cosleeper (which honestly got more use to hold my snacks/kleenex/water than anything else) and she was in bed with us. When she outgrew the cosleeper we moved o a bed rail and she was in bed with us. As she got to be a more active sleeper we moved a twin bed in next to our king and we started her out in there, and she moved in to our bed during the night. That is still where she is. She sleeps in her bed until she wants to cuddle and then moves over and yells at Gary.

Like anything, it is trial and error until you get it right. If you want to figure it out and get it comfy, perhaps Brian could move someplace else to sleep if he is having a hard time. I know plenty of couple who have done just that.

Like with all situations with babies, wait two weeks and it will be all different again. LOL

As for private space....well I can't help you there. Sometimes you have to get creative. LOL

The Studes said...

I know that you had said you weren't' planning on doing rice cereals or jared food, but do you have anything against something oatmeal-esc? When avi was around 6 months or so I started giving her oatmeal before she went to sleep and it helped her to stay asleep until morning.
I dont have an opinion about co-sleeping, avi was never in bed with us because Lance snores to loud and it kept her up. she does howver like to hop into bed with us around 3 or 4 in the morning.

Steph said...

First off, it sounds like you need some serious rest. What about pumping a bottle and letting Brian handle the first feeding while you sleep? Times I have been really tired I've gone and slept in the guest room while Jerad snuggled the baby all night (if Brian's not comfortable co-sleeping alone maybe put Everett in a pack n play in the bedroom?). If I'm in bed and he wakes up, he has to nurse, but if its just Jerad he will happily take a paci and go back to sleep.

That said, I get SO much more rest co-sleeping than having to go into Marshall's room to feed him. We put him in our bed starting the night he was born:) Is Everett happier snuggling close to you, or does he like his own space? Marshall used to like to spoon all night long, but now for the most part he likes his own space. I'd try to figure out if E has a preference.

I'd start work on the side lying nursing during the day when its light and you can see what you're doing. It is seriously the easiest position since its basically "hands free." I think the smaller the boobs, the easier. Make sure he's positioned correctly, his nose should be level with your nipple on the "bottom" boob and he should be tucked in tight, there shouldn't be a bunch of space between you.

When Marsh was little I did the side switching that Adina was talking about, but lately he nurses on both sides each feeding so I've learned to feed him without rolling over. First he nurses on the "bottom" boob, then I roll kind of half onto my stomach and he nurses on the "top" boob. We both pretty much sleep through the whole thing.

Maybe try a few nights with Brian sleeping on the couch/guest room until you guys get it figured out? As for the whole being comfortable while sleeping, I'd try to figure this out during the day too. Take a nap together:) For me, I just sleep however I'm happy and we put the baby between us and let him do his own thing. Mostly I just make sure I'm not putting my pillow on his face. He's old enough now if the sheets get on his face he'll move them. Some people are more comfortable with everyone having their own blanket.

Good luck!

Christina said...

Thanks ladies! I want to respond to each of you privately.

Adina, what you said is so true: "Like with all situations with babies, wait two weeks and it will be all different again."

This too shall pass. {:

anna said...

Would love to respond in length because this sounds so much like our experience with Maxi. However I do not love extended typing with my thumbs on my phone...going to take awhile for me to accept it and even longer to actually get good at it. Regardless of my technological issues, cosleeping was worth the work ultimately. We had a lot of kinks to work out and it was and is a continuous dance of what would work best that night or week or month. The sixth month for Max was intense...teething, sitting, moving, eating- all sorts of developmental milestones. And for us as parents, we thought life was becoming routine, wrong! We did commit to nighttime parenting and I think a lot happens at night for our babes, thus lots of nighttime parenting! For me, it was easier to accomplish with Maxi in bed.
A few quick thoughts...does E have a long first stretch of sleep? Maybe use this to get your good chunk of noteworthy sleep, E perhaps in crib and you comfy in bed. Then first wake up cuddle him up with you and practice the side and half tummy sleep nursing.
I learned now with Paloma that every noise she makes while sleeping is not a need for me. With Max I probably jumped the gun trying to help him back to sleep when he wasn't even awake in the first place. But even more clearly I have learned that just like us these little bodies are so incredibly unique, including how they sleep. Maxi was and is what I might call high maintenance and Paloma is gracefully content with the little world she thus knows.
I love these conversations because they encourage us to reflect on our behaviors and decisions and also to say outloud how hard we are working and be proud of it!

Juliette Muracchioli said...

I hear you on the pulled shoulder muscle. Adrian´s only six weeks old, and I hurt my left (dominant!) shoulder while nursing him in bed when he was five days old. Trying to nurse him and simultaneously nurse myself back into good condition was really a challenge. Luckily, things have gotten better.

About co-sleeping. Since I am so early on in my mommahood, I can only empathize with my bit of experience thus far and ask you many questions in the future!

I put Adrian down in a pack-n-play right by the bed, and then halfway through the night he comes into bed with us until the morning. It depends on the night, but he usually nurses twice.

During the first few weeks I was worried about smashing him, but now that he´s more than doubled in weight and we´ve gotten cozy sleeping close, I feel more comfortable. And because the nights here in Panama are warm, I rarely use a blanket. I´m not sure if it makes a difference, but maybe.

However, Adrian is an active sleeper. He grunts. He wiggles. He stretches. And he wants to be next to us while he does it...Ernesto can sleep through it like a champ. I can´t. Luckily I´m staying at home also, so I can usually find a nap during the day to make up for the lost hours. If he continues being such a mover and shaker, I would think the co-sleeping would only get more challenging? Any thoughts?

Everett is beautiful, Christina. And I love this blog...

Hope you three are well!

-Juliette