Friday, October 15, 2010

Five Month Blog


My baby is five-months-old today!! Wow!

It's so hard to decide when to blog when you're tracking life with an infant. No joke, he changes every day. He learns new things every day. And I don't really want to blog every day. Maybe I'll do a facebook status update, but not an entire blog entry. So I came up with the idea of blogging about Everett once a month on the 15th (his monthly birthday). This way I can list all the new things he's learned and the ways he's changed, on a regular schedule.

I told my friend Rachel this blog idea, and she said, "that's what I did for Andy. I'd blog about him every month on the 19th, then add blogs for other events." Well . . . goes to show I have great mommy teachers in my life who I learn from . . . then forget that I've learned from them. Haha.

On to Everett!!

Everything in my last blog still stands. He's still a total sweetheart (how many times can I call him "sweetie" in one day? 100+?). He still eats well, sleeps relatively well (still wakes up to nurse at least once a night), and is very curious about the world.

At his last doctor visit (on September 27th), he was 16 pounds 6 ounces (69th percentile), and 28.3 inches! That is off-the-charts tall!

He rolled from back to belly for the first time on September 17th, so he had just turned 4 months. I was planning to write that he had yet to convince me that he could intentionally roll back to his back from his belly. But just yesterday, my parents were visiting, he was playing with my mom on the floor, and he was rolling back and forth--no big deal. (;


He has two teeth!! I noticed the first one coming in on the 15th of September, then the next a few days later. He was a really good sport about teething. He seemed a bit crankier than usual, but it never interrupted his sleep much (a couple nights with one extra feeding?). The only thing that bothered me about him getting teeth was that he started to bite me!!! Around the beginning of October, he started biting me when nursing. It wasn't too hard, but he got me good once, and after that I was pretty jumpy. But thanks to Dr. Sears' advice to push him in close when he bites, we've been constructively working on it. 4-month-olds do not need teeth!! }:


I'm happy to report that his hair is growing back! I was not a fan of the bald-on-the-sides look. But now I've been teasing Brian that his hair is growing in blond! The hair that's growing in really does look light in the sun. It wouldn't be all that strange. Brian and I both had light hair when we were little. Brian just wants to have a brunette when most of our friends have blonds.

He's sitting up pretty well. He can sit unaided in his highchair, and he's quite comfortable in the Bumbo-type chair we have. But I don't really think he's interested in sitting on the floor unassisted. He just reaches for things on the floor and falls over. Looking at him and realizing that he has the longest baby-torso in the world makes me wonder if it will be difficult for him to balance on his own. But I know I'm just being a weirdo with that thought. (;


This month he got to meet his great-grandpa Chuck and his wonderful Great-Aunt Sue. We were very excited for the visit since we don't imagine traveling too soon with the baby, Grandpa lives in Southern California, Sue lives in Colorado, but it was really important to us that he meet these special people.


While they were visiting we had some strange weather--mostly lovely, but one evening it was strange: very humid, thunder, lightening, and rain! Brian decided to take Everett out to get rained-on for the first time. He was very confused. Haha.

He usually has a serious expression on his face, so people tend to think he's deep in thought. I'm not so sure about that, but he's certainly interested in everything, quietly watching his adults go about our business. His favorite things to watch are leaves and wind chimes.


Just recently, he's decided to start rolling over in his crib. Brian or I will go into the nursery, and he will be asleep on his stomach. I guess I shouldn't be nervous because they say, "if they're strong enough to get themselves into that position, they're strong enough to move if they're in a harmful position." But you're always told they should sleep on their backs, so it's a teensy bit unnerving.

His Grandpa Phil is probably his favorite person right now. When he sees him in the morning, he gets a big grin on his face. His grandpa can always make him laugh.

We're totally cool with pacifier use in infants, and we used to give one to him when he was tired and cranky. It would take the edge off and help him fall asleep. And sometimes he would get fussy on the changing table, and the pacifier would help get through the change. But now, whenever we give him the pacifier, he chews on it! Truthfully, I can't think of one time in the last few weeks that we've given him the pacifier and he hasn't gone straight to using it as a chew toy. Guess who's not buying anymore pacifiers. This mommy.

Rachel came over last night and claimed that Everett had become much more social just in the last week-and-a-half or so. If you're with a little one every day, it's sometimes hard to notice how they're changing.

But several times a day I stop and watch something he's doing and think, "when he was a month old or two months old, I couldn't imagine him doing this." Reaching for things, laughing at things, rolling, scooting, playing. I tell you, babies are incredible.

It's just amazing that Everett's been with us for five months! It seems like just yesterday that he was born, but it also feels like he's been a part of our family forever.

No comments: