Wednesday, November 12, 2008

And Barack said, "let there be broadband!"


I'm not going to go so far as to say Hell has frozen over, or that I've witnessed the first sign of the coming apocalypse. But President-elect Obama's goal to make broadband accessible to every American seems much more likely given the recent news that . . . MY PARENTS HAVE DSL!!!

It's crazy. They've had dial-up since the Internet was invented! Well, probably since the mid-90's. And they have recently decided that it's desirable to go a little faster. Desirable enough to pay extra! If my parents can no longer suffer with dial-up, no American can! 

This is exciting news because, in the past, I would send a big picture and it would take a half an hour to download. I was sending them funny Tina-Fey-as-Sarah-Palin videos, and they probably took an hour to download, if they even bothered. 

And now, when I visit home, I won't have to refrain from checking my e-mail. I can just check it! 

So Mom and Dad, congratulations and thank you! You bravely held out for years, but I don't think you will be disappointed with the speed.

Oh, and they got a fancy new iMac too! 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool Blog!!! Congratulations.

Christina said...

Thanks . . . Uncle Panda? Is this my father?!?

Beth McDermott said...

um, i dont think my parends even KNOW what imac MEANS!

your parents are DEFINITELY more progressive than my clan.

Rachel said...

Uncle Panda huh? Interesting.

Yay for George and Kathy! I am sure they are loving it! And now you can blog from your parents too!

The Studes said...

I love that your dad is "surfing".