Friday, January 6, 2017

December Post

This may be my latest blog ever! December has always been, and probably always will be, a beast of a month. We have the advent calendar activities. We have other miscellaneous holiday events and celebrations. And then there's the normal stuff that happens in a life. It's a long one with lots of pictures. And I made some collages and they're wonky and uncoordinated, but it's good enough!





Rosalind and I surprised Grandpa George by attending his December puppet show at the library. He didn't know we were there until he came out to take a bow at the end. "Everett" was on Santa's nice list. Apparently it was a name coincidence.

This is what taking our three kids to the grocery store looks like. An adventure!


From the first of December till the 24th, we had advent calendar activities! We started with letters to Santa (Everett asked for a Lego Elves Secret Marketplace set and Lydia asked for chattering teeth!). Many of the early activities are making decorations, like coffee filter snowflakes.


The Atascadero tree lighting was beautiful this year. Everett still has no interest in meeting Santa ("I already wrote him a letter"), but they liked the cocoa.



We got a tree! I couldn't help comparing this year to last. Roz was a different (immobile) baby back then. We got home and decorated with Elf and hot chocolate. The rest of the photos are more advent calendar decorations: popcorn wreaths and orange pomander balls.


After the heartbreaking election, I started making plans to get more educated/involved in local politics. Along with some awesome friends, I attended the Atascadero Democratic Club's holiday brunch, and I got to meet our new congress member, Salud Carbajal. We wished him A LOT of luck. Fight for us Salud!


We had a photoshoot with our talented friend Dana. The kids were so uncooperative and wild. It's a miracle she got so many good shots. Or I should say . . . Dana's a miracle worker.





Aunt Sue came for my birthday again this year. We always love including her in our festive activities.


This year that included Cambria Christmas Market. It rained and rained and RAINED. We're not used to getting soaked like that! In California, rain means a slight drizzle that stops after 15 minutes. Not this time! Lydia dried her hair with a diaper on the ride home.


Sue was also here for the SECOND annual gingerbread house decorating/Christina's birthday party party! It was so fun! I didn't have it in me to make gingerbread again this year, so I used graham crackers, and it was fine.


The animals opened presents at the zoo. So much busier this year (which was great!). Last year was drizzly and cold. Our kids love smashing pennies.


More advent calendar activities. Holiday Cosmic Kids Yoga, Zoo presents, and fire and marshmallow roasting for the solstice.


Kamryn (best friend since first grade) and Kathy Clarke wrote a book!! We went to their signing in Paso Robles. So exciting! It's called Whispers of Wonder, and you should check it out . . . and probably buy it. Just buy it already. It's awesome.


Then Kamryn came over to visit us! And bond with Roz.



Lydia playing in the yard. Flowers and silly faces.


Oh! We were outside to check out the progress on our new roof! Yeah, we got a new roof and new gutters. Just in time for a big storm that's coming!!


I finally made Roz her own stocking. This was her second Christmas y'all! But she didn't care last year. She didn't really care this year, but I'm glad it's done.


Here's our final advent activity! Making snacks for Santa and his reindeer (we put out some baby carrots).


Christmas Eve with the Cisneroses! We can almost, kinda get a good picture!





Some of my favorite moments this season were watching the kids give gifts to their family. We had the kids get money from their piggy banks, we took them to the dollar store, and they chose their own gifts. It was fun, and the pride and excitement on their faces as they watched their presents being unwrapped was so sweet!

Lydia sitting with her new Doc McStuffins and her new watch!





Roz faces. So sweet and funny.


Auntie Katie came out from Houston for what I think was a slightly longer than normal Christmas visit. She loves her nieces and nephew, loves spending the holidays with them, and I'm so grateful for that.



Merry Christmas morning!! Yes, I got a selfie stick just to take this picture of us in our coordinating dino jammies. In the background you can see brown paper and twine wrapped Santa gifts and our stuffed stockings laying around.





Opening stockings!! Mostly peanuts, mandarins, and dental care items. Ok. The big kids got some little toys too.





The only thing Lydia ever asked for (from Santa or anyone) was chattering teeth. Haha. I love that girl. We (I mean Santa) got her a dozen small teeth with feet that sort of jump around and one jumbo set that's strong and chatters super loudly. It was fun watching her open them.



Roz still doesn't understand Christmas presents, but she has certainly got the hang of opening them and reacting. Ooooooo!


Lydia presenting us with an ornament she made at school. Aw! Now we have school ornaments for both big kids on our tree.





Christmas lunch with the Asdels. One of the kids got those spring eye glasses for my dad.

Hey ladies, keep your eyes off my man! Always the handsomest.

And Everett looks sweet with his bow head.



Some family photos before Christmas dinner! Kids goofin', as usual. Everett's goofin', mostly Everett.



Greek feast Christmas dinner. YUM. I'm drooling thinking about that food. Lydia loves dolmas.



I think I know where the kids get their quirkiness. Grandpa George I'm looking at you! He made up new rules to this game and is diligently playing till the end.



The day after Christmas, Katie and Phil wanted to hike Valencia Peak. We arrived a little later, walked around the bluffs, and met them at the base of the trail. Then we went to Cayucos for fish and chips and chowder at Duckies!



Of course, the kids had to visit the candy shop afterward and play at the beach. We all took a stroll on the pier.



Snow day!! Brian talks about going to the snow every year, and we finally did it! We just did a day trip up to Shaver Lake, but we found a great little Sno-Park (yes, that's what they're called--get outta here "W"!) and there was plenty of snow! The kids had fun sledding, snow man building, and there was even a little (big) snow ball fight. Luckily, it was really warm the day we were there, but the kids got to learn that snow is COLD!


Our new minivan was so great to have on the trip! Have I mentioned that our three license plate letters are "LZY"? which are perfect for us. We like the lazy life.


Our little outdoor adventure on New Year's Day, disc golf. I love these goobers!

One more thing before I go. When Lydia speaks lately, she tends to follow "yes" answers with "because . . . "

Me: Do you want to go to the store with Dad?
Lydia: Yes . . . because Daddy's my best friend, and I love Daddy.

We didn't need an explanation, but that's sweet. Haha.

Until next month!

No comments: