I didn't think I'd be late posting this, but I spent ALL DAY Thursday sorting baby clothes (much better than the 'all day and night' I expected). And Katie came into town yesterday, and we just ended up hanging out with her all evening. Fun! More on that in next month's blog!
It's been another fun and busy month.
Our freezer was broken for a bit, and we just got it fixed at the beginning of the month. Even popsicles can't immediately cheer up a grouchy boy after his nap . . .
It took a few minutes.
Unfortunately, our oven broke around the same time. Oh, appliances. Luckily, Brian was able to fix the oven himself.
Three continues to be a challenge, but a fun and interesting challenge. He's very independent. He wants to do everything "by his own self," even wipe his bottom and clean out his potty. Oh boy.
One of my favorite things he says is "I can't know." Instead of "I don't know." I'm going to be sad when he corrects himself.
Before going to the fair, we went to In-n-Out. At first we said he could get a chocolate shake, but then we asked him if he'd rather have a shake or cotton candy at the fair. He chose the cotton candy, but he didn't quite understand the trade, and when we got home he had almost a complete meltdown. Eventually he calmed down and said, "but I'm just disappointed." Aww. I was so proud of him using his words. It wasn't any of our best moment (not good to thoughtlessly promise a shake), but it was great to see our work talking about feelings paying off.
From facebook: Everett saw a video with Questlove and said, "he's like Bob Ross!"
Lydia turned 5 months old this month, and 5 months has been so fun! It was really the transition from more helpless lump to active, happy baby.
She's an amazing, wonderful baby. She sleeps well still. And she's generally very content. People are constantly saying, "she seems like a really mellow baby. Is she a mellow baby?" Yes, we're very spoiled.
But I think we're in for it when she becomes a toddler (and then for the rest of time). She's so independent, determined, and active. She's gonna do what she wants to do, I'm willing to bet on it.
Toward the end of the month, she started really moving. July 20th, using mostly her arms. Very end of the month, getting her legs in it a bit more.
From facebook: Of course, Everett's going through a "pulling wheels off toy cars" phase just as Lydia is going through her "scooting all around the room putting things in her mouth" phase.
We had a fun Fourth of July! We went to the Santa Margarita Parade with the Hunters, Arnolds, and Grandma Kathie and Grandpa George.
After naps, we went to Grandma Gion's and Grandpa Phil's. Lydia played on the porch and looked cute. This was before we started worrying she would roll or scooch off the porch.
Everett is so sweet with her. Squiiiiiiish . . .
We started putting Lydia in her bouncer this month. She really likes it.
It's a great way to keep her safe from her brother. He's less likely to run over her or squish her.
She also gets to use the jumper at the Asdel Grand's house.
We knew Garrett, Jessi, Weston, and Brody would be down, but we thought we'd miss them because of Everett's Spanish camp. We went to the park to find a car show. There was no car show, but our friends were there! They'd just gotten to town. Fun!
These pictures are from her 5 month birthday! Look at those little teeth coming through!! By the end of the month, they were all grown in!
Cute, happy girl
July 8th through 12th, Everett went to Spanish camp with SeƱora Wallace from 9 to 11. He did really well. He absorbed the Spanish better than was expected. But 5 days of class in a row was a bit much for him. The last day he skinned his knee a bit at the end and had a hard time getting over it. She almost had to call for me to come get him.
Puppet show with friends! Payton and Westley on the left. Blane and Tyler on the right.
July 13th, our friends Darby and Katherine came down to visit with their daughter Eloise, who is a month younger than Lydia. Lots of people wanted to see them, so we had a party! Above, at the table, you can see Henry, Peter, Ben, and Melissa.
Good friends already.
This month, Everett discovered making forts. Lydia was also a fan.
We went back to Estero Bluffs, just the four of us. Lydia would not stay on the blanket. I guess we need a bigger blanket.
Sorry I cut Everett in half, but I think this is the best picture I got of Brian and Everett playing in the sand, E getting buried.
Play date with Adrian, Whitney, Marshall, and Miller at Juliette's house.
We can't see Lydia's body!! It's tie dye camouflage!
Everett's been practicing his disc golf game. When he goes pro, he'll be so happy we took these pictures. Appropriately at hole #3. I wish we'd taken a shot of him 2-years-old at hole #2!
We went to the fair, of course! In June, I thought I wanted to skip it this year, but by July, I was excited. It's just such an essential part of summer.
Everett was SOOOO excited about cotton candy. Somehow he got it in his mind that it was the best part of the fair. We got it earlier than I would have liked (before real food--he wouldn't eat his corn dog), just so we could move on from the cotton candy talk.
He loved the rides. I didn't expect that. I half expected him to try one and say he was done. But he wanted to go on all of them. Especially the ones with cars. He was repeating "speed, I am speed" and "the checkered flag is mine" through each ride (both quotes from his beloved Cars).
Country girl in her fair dress at Zoo to You.
I've actually been painting! On Tuesdays when Everett is with Phil and Gion, Brian's been taking Lydia all day (and making all the meals) so I can paint. I've also been trying to sketch every day. I know this is a special time when Brian's on vacation, but I'll take it! If I can vow to paint a bit during each one of Brian's breaks, that's still more than I've been painting the last 3 years.
Our friend Nemiha was in town with her kids Avi and Liev. We visited them twice and swam in her parents' pool. Lydia's first pool/bathing suit experience. She wasn't sure about it.
On the 26th, we went to a SLO Blues baseball game. It was part of John Hunter's birthday celebration. And, yes, John and Rachel have some awesomely silly children. Julie has mastered the photobomb.
There were fireworks. Could these have been Everett's first fireworks?!?
From facebook: Overheard Everett tell his Grandma Gion "I got a blue mark on my hand, and then mom wiped it off." Baseball, friends, toys, family, food, play structure, FIREWORKS!! And he chooses to tell her about the mark he got when he left the stadium so he could get back in. That's 3 for ya.
Brian's been growing lots of cucumbers in the garden, so of course he had to start pickling. He's made dills and bread and butter. The ones we've tried are really good.
On the 31st, Lydia ate some watermelon. I want to say this was her first food, but the day before, Brian had let her suck on a strawberry popsicle and a (Trader Joe's) cheeto. Daddy's always way more fun.
Everett loves playing with Phil and Gion's neighbor Alyssa. She's 8 and is a cheerleader. She's been teaching him some moves.
So many cute pictures from Katie's visit! I can't wait to share them next month!






















No comments:
Post a Comment