Saturday, June 1, 2013

May Post

It's June 1st!! Brian's summer vacation starts today (or Monday, if you want to be technical), and I'm really looking forward to a summer where Brian doesn't have a big renovation project and I'm not pregnant.

Ok, so May! May was really fun! Most excitingly, Everett turned THREE!!!!


I'm going to try hard to shorten my blogs. I'm realizing if I want to print blog books throughout our kids' childhoods, I can't have each post be 10 pages long. So I'll try to post the best photo from a sitting. Ok . . . maybe two . . . or three.


I took some photos of Lydia when she was just 3 months.


Of course, brother had to get in on the fun.


We put her in her new crib just to try it out. She looks so small! She's not sleeping in it yet.

She actually sleeps like this:


We spent the afternoon/evening of Mother's Day with Gion. Brian made dinner and we pretty much just watched Everett play the whole time. It was pretty great.


the mothers and babies


Gion with her baby and his babies


Phil got home from work and joined the fun.


On May 15th, Everett's actual birthday, we went to Phil and Gion's for dinner, cake, and presents.


Grandpa George and Grandma Kathie came over too.


May 19th, we had Everett's bug party!


The food was super cute. I found most of the ideas on Pinterest and got my mom and mother-in-law to make it. But I'll take the credit. I made the signs!


Everett asked for a chocolate cake with pink/strawberry frosting.




Kids eating dirt cake!


Mom getting in the picture.


While Everett opened presents, Lydia held Grandpa George's finger.


Way after the party was over, we finally got Lydia in her party costume. Look how much she loves her brother.


Look at her face as he bites her finger so hard she started screaming crying after this. Of course I didn't know he would do this until it happened. But we've been having a few issues with him not being super gentle with her.


Propped up with pillows on the couch!


Wearing her brother's cool hand-me-downs.


Everett's been pretty obsessed with lowriders since Gion and Phil showed him some lowrider videos set to the song by war. For a potty training bribe (ineffective bribe to stay dry after naps), we bought him these RC lowriders. He managed to break the red one within a couple days, which I knew would happen, but it happened faster than I expected. The blue one came pretty much broken, which we knew (eBay).

Speaking of potty training. He's been doing GREAT! We decided to back up a bit and start putting him in pull-ups for nights and naps. He just wasn't ready to stay dry in his sleep. But he's having more and more dry pull-ups, so there's no regression!

Our biggest issue with potty training right now is his dang 3-year-old independence! He wants to do everything "by his own self," which means he often runs to the bathroom and does his business without telling anyone, even when he needs to be wiped, or help getting his pants down, or even during class and I didn't see where he went, only to find him in the unlit bathroom. Sometimes doing it himself works out well. Other times, it's messy.


Lydia's been very intentional in her grabbing lately.


And once she grabs something . . . mouth!


This is Everett "writing" his own thank you cards.


And his last day of class!! Next week we have a potuck in the park, then it's off to preschool in the fall!


 Singing songs: "Two little blackbirds sitting on a hill . . ."


 "great white shark, great white shark, lurking in the water . . ."


 "row row row your boat . . ."


Here he is during "show and tell." There was just too much excitement to get a good picture. He shared a caboose.


Conversation I had with Everett on May 6th:

Me: Just you and me will go to class on Wednesday and Grama Gion will watch Lydia. How does that sound?
Everett: That will be very sad.
Me: Why?
Everett: Because we need Lydia!

Gion watched Lydia a couple times when went Everett and I went to class. "Watched" is a good term to use because she really didn't do much, didn't even eat, unfortunately. We're working on getting her to take the bottle again.


May 10th, Lydia smiled at herself in the mirror for the first time.

Finger names courtesy of Everett: thumb = thumbkin, index = pointer, middle = flickster, ring = Kevin (Kevin is the guy who cuts his hair at SuperCuts), pinky = pinky


Brian says "go on, git!" to the deer (and sometimes to Everett). It's hilarious to hear Everett say.

Everett's been watching The Chipmunk and Chipette versions of "All the Single Ladies" and "Bad Romance." It's so strange to hear a 3-year-old sing "you know that I want you" in a low, breathy voice. Luckily, he doesn't enunciate very well and doesn't know what he's saying. He also likes the clean version of "Thrift Shop" and sings "this is pretty awesome."

I love how Everett says "borrow" instead of "buy." As in:

Everett: Can I have some milk?
Me: We don't have any milk.
Everett: Well, then we need to borrow some from the store!

Expect next month's post to be summer-tastic!!

No comments: