23 months. It's so close to two that I feel kind of weird blogging. But after two, I might stop blogging monthly (at least about developmental stuff), so I thought I would keep it up for one more month before THE BIG ONE (I mean TWO!)
It has been another big month. The biggest change is his level of awareness. He acknowledges that he understands what we're saying a lot more and responds thoughtfully. It's amazing and alarming when you realize they're absorbing everything they experience . . . and remembering it weeks later! |:
Reading last month's blog, I'm happy to report he no longer answers most questions with "no." His answers are becoming much more situationally appropriate. He also says "mine" much less often. Woo hoo! He still says it sometimes but not so much that we're frustrated by it.
Those one word answers are being replaced by things like, "No Daddy, No!" "Pweeease Mama, pweeeease!" and "Help Grama Gion, Help!" Well, at least he's being more direct?
| with his new guitar |
It makes me sad. He's calling his grandfathers "Grampa" more than "Baba" now. It's always sad when they drop baby words. That might be one we try to keep around.
| Magna Doodle. Great for a kid who likes to draw all the time! |
Last month I wrote about how we were trying to transition from cuddling on the couch to sleep to going to sleep in his bed. I've kind of changed my outlook on that. He's started ASKING to go to sleep--and in his bed no less! ("bed time" "nigh nigh time") So I realized I won't be able to cuddle him to sleep much longer. He's going to get too big, and I want to savor this time when he's still a baby! I'd probably see this differently if he wasn't asking to go to sleep, like there wouldn't be a natural end in sight. Kind of like ending breastfeeding. He naturally cut down on it, and we were able to transition really easily to no nursing. I think it's just his personality.
We're still trying to spend more time in his room before bed, reading and relaxing. And when he does come out to the living room, he's in his bed longer and longer before he comes out again after being put down.
He seems to understand his conditions much more. He tells us when he's tired, when he wants to go outside or inside. He was such a distractable baby that when he started telling me what he wanted, I thought he was joking.
| with friends Rosa and Ines |
| with friend Max |
We helped throw a spring party on March 20th. Anna and I were going to throw a St. Patrick's party, but everyone was either sick or unexpectedly busy, so we celebrated the beginning of spring. My friends Anna, Juliette, and Stephanie (and their kids) got to meet for the first time! And I didn't take any pictures. }:
Brian got two weeks off for spring break! He spend most of the time doing yard work. He prepped for and put in a lawn. This included fixing the sprinklers, adding edging/trim, wood chips around the border, plus making the dirt flat and hospitable to grass seeds (rototilling, soil, fertilizer) but inhospitable to birds (manure). He killed ivy and weed whacked. We both did some planting (someday we'll have big bushed to shield the road!).
Everett spent a lot of time outside over Brian's break and even got to "help" when we didn't have to keep him off the lawn because of fertilizer or seeds.
| yard work |
It wasn't all work for Brian, he also got to visit gymnastics for the first time!
We went to a tie dye party for Everett's now two-year-old friend Eli. The Hunters were there.
| Everett and Andy |
| bubbles! |
| Everett and Sadie |
| Sadie's tongue |
And this month was Easter!
The Hunters invited us to their house for pizza and egg hunting, but Gion thought Everett needed to practice egg hunting beforehand. So we went to their house for brunch and some practice egging.
Then we went to the Hunters', and Everett was an egg hunting pro! . . .
and also an honorary Hunter/Banks cousin.
We got to see all the grands on Easter. My parents came over to the Hunters' and had a great time watching E play, jump, and swing.
See you next month for the second birthday post!

No comments:
Post a Comment